Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help - need educated guesses/opinions *Update*

ok, car: 90 Leg LS, 2.2, Auto, AWD, 162,000 miles

Heading in to work this morning, going along fine, then BAM - all of a sudden it starts running like crap - almost like it was only running on one bank.

could not accelerate - car would just shudder, almost violently. Found a reasonably safe place to pull over - would not idle without me feathering the throttle. Shut it off and popped the hood.

Oil - no obvious dripping/leaking anywhere - cool

Coolant - overflow bottle was "overflowing" - hmm - found an antifreeze drip trail along where i had been when i stopped. (note - temp guage never read hot, or even semi hot - never moved from its normal spot) :confused:

Car will start and run, but runs crappy - when cold it seems like it's running on three cyl's...

any thoughts as to what might be the problem??? Will not be able to mess with it until tommorrow evening.

Suggestions on what to check (besides the obvious of pulling plug wires to verify what cyls are firing)

am kind of new to the EJ22, so any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if it is related or not (probably not), but will also add that the ABS light came on this morning as well

Strangely enough I just bought a 94 that had similar symtoms after blowing the water pump. The pump more or less seized, engine overheated, and when the owner tried to start it after filling it with coolant (she was going to limp it to a shop a few blocks away) it wouldn't start. The timing belt (which was still perfectly fine) jumped time on the cams because it was dragging over the water pump pulley causing it to jerk the tensioner and stretch the belt enough to hop a few ribs. In my case it would *try* to start but was out of time on both cams and couldn't sustain an idle at all.

Sounds very similar to yours - coolant leakage, overheating into the overflow bottle, and the engine's out of time - even one tooth is enough to make it run aweful.

I did the whole timing set and water pump and it runs perfect again - couldn't have got a better deal for $750 :)

Easy to verify - pop off the outer belt covers and line up the timing marks. The cams should both be straight up with the crank at 0.

BTW - easiest timing belt replacement I've ever done. Easy access, and just a pleasure to work on. If you have done the EA82 belts then this will be like a tropical vacation :cool:

GD

thank you for the reply GD - at least now i have a general direction.

I did kind of wonder about the water pump going south, but was unsure about it...didnt think about it causing the timing to jump...

Have done the timing belts on an EA82 a few times (several cars!) but this will be a first time on the EJ22

Is there a good write up on the EJ timing belts like there is for EA82? time to go do a search i guess.

Thanks again!

Thanks - found the write up on the EJ22 Timing belts easily - just had to go look :rolleyes:

update on the car - pulled both outer covers off, and lined up the mark on drivers side - it appears that passenger side is slightly off (no notch in the cover on that side?) also did the pull the plug wires thing - #4 was not hitting, altho it does have spark.

anyway - it looked like the water pump pulley was turning - at the time, anyway...also looked like tensioner pulley was turning ok...

Took a big chance and decided to try limping it home - about 8 miles. She made it, but it was rough all the way...

Have i ever said that I LOVE non-interference engines?? :headbang: Cause i definitely do!!! Would never have done what i did with a standard interference style engine! :-p

Anyway, now that she is home i can get into things further.

Plan is to R&R the whole front end - new water pump, thermostat, cam & crank seals, timing belts, etc - and thanks for the tip on the oil pump, GD - will have a look see at that, too

Thanks again for the info, GD, you may have saved me several hours of headaches trying to figure out what the heck went wrong.