Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purge Control Solenoid ?

Its a solenoid that opens a pipe from your charcol canister to your intake manifold. In my mind it is useless. But to keep the ECU happy you either need a 60 odd ohms resistor in it's place or a good working one.

Sounds like emission control, The engine runs great I'm just tired of the CEL being lit.

Think I'll try tricking the ECU with the 60 ohm resisitor.

Thanks Lot's !

I just fixed this on my car on the weekend. Couldn't find a used subaru solenoid valve (over $100 new) so took one out of a honda at the junkyard, soldered the Subaru connector on, and it works fine. Hoses even fit. To find one on other cars, just find the fuel vapor canister and follow the hoses out of that. As long as the resistance is between about 30 and 100 ohms it should do the job.

In order to dup the ECU at ALL times (including durring a D-Check) you must use a 5 watt resistor in the range of the solenoid: 32.7-39.9 ohms.

33.3 or 35 Ohm 5 watt ceramic resistors are commonly availible.

Higher or lower than the range may not pop a CEL while in U-Check but it will in D-Check and it will prevent the diagnostic routines from carrying out the full battery of tests and may make it impossible to diagnose some other fualt.

GD

I just fixed this on my car on the weekend. Couldn't find a used subaru solenoid valve (over $100 new) so took one out of a honda at the junkyard, soldered the Subaru connector on, and it works fine. Hoses even fit. To find one on other cars, just find the fuel vapor canister and follow the hoses out of that. As long as the resistance is between about 30 and 100 ohms it should do the job.
Yes, I have seen many cars with the same looking device and I'm pretty sure they'd work just as good as a Subaru one. Hell, even the solenoid on the S/R PT4WD boxes looks the same, and I think it has the same plugs too.

New ones seem way other priced to me.

Sorry, the 60ohm thing is for the EJ22, not the older motors. I forgot they were different. Good to see the right info there for you anyway.

The gen2 Legacy and later gen1 Impreza have a solenoid that's mounted to the strut tower next to the air box, it's not the canister purge solenoid, but I'm curious if it would work in the place of the canister purge solenoid, since it's #1 a lot easier to get to and #2 it's more likely to still be in a car in the junkyard. My Legacy has the same problem, and even with my discount it's $50 for a new one... (My other bad solenoid is the idle air control valve which is $198 with my discount :dead:)