Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few lift questions

Gyoas759

I'm about ready to get the stuff to lift my 83 Wagon and I'm wondering about some of the logistics of it. I've been browsing and it looks like HI-Rise And SJR are the only places that are making the lift kits right now. Any reccomendations of one over the other? Planning on a 4/4 lift as of now. And while browsing SJR I saw that the rear shocks need to be replaced and the steering shaft must be lengthened. Does this apply to all lift kits? And if so, what's the basic process? Anyone know when Allied will be selling kits again? I asked this summer and was told this fall sometime. And anything else I should know about doing a lift?

I'm about ready to get the stuff to lift my 83 Wagon and I'm wondering about some of the logistics of it. I've been browsing and it looks like HI-Rise And SJR are the only places that are making the lift kits right now. Any reccomendations of one over the other? Planning on a 4/4 lift as of now. And while browsing SJR I saw that the rear shocks need to be replaced and the steering shaft must be lengthened. Does this apply to all lift kits? And if so, what's the basic process? Anyone know when Allied will be selling kits again? I asked this summer and was told this fall sometime. And anything else I should know about doing a lift?

Curious. Does SJR's site have contact info? Try contacting SJR with questions about their lifts. ;)

I used a PK (OZIFIED) 4/3 lift for my '86 brat, and it went on smooth. The 4/3 was nice for me, as it took some of the front/rear rake out of the brat.

With any of these lift kits, you will need longer shocks, and an extended steering shaft.

I have pics of my lift install that might help you out.... PM me if youd like em.

I made mine like this:

http://www.subarubrat.com/liftday.htm

http://www.subarubrat.com/liftday2.htm

I saw that the rear shocks need to be replaced

You could build extenders that re-locate the rear strut mount downwards the amount of lift.

the steering shaft must be lengthened

Yes.

Again, depending on the amount of lift, you might have to get longer rear brake hoses. I don't know if they give you the bits for the gearshift, you will end up fooling with rad/heater hoses. The engine pitch rod will need lengthened, and you may find your mechanical rad fan no longer has meaning, so replacement with an electrical one is recommended. The exhaust will require some tweaking/fooling.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but on a difficulty level, this is harder than a brake job, and does need the ability to be able to work things out.

I'm still working on mine, but I started with a really rough car, and am fixing everything as I go along.

hey hey hey..

well I used the lift from Hi Rise to lift my loyale. it was a good kit with the exception about how long it took to get the kit. It was like months. when it came it had all the pieces parts... ie, steering extention and all the bolts. the hard part was making sure I had all the blocks in the correct places.. but it worked well. it took me and a buddy about 10hrs to do. but I did a tranny also. I put in a dual range. the kit seems to be holding up good too.. all that I see is that when I free wheel one of the front tires (on a cliff or big hill) Its almost automatic that I will tear a CV boot either @ the wheel or tranny.

if you have any other ??? on the Hi rise.. let me know. I have been putting together the series of events I went thru to get'r' done and I plan on posting it here when its finished.

ROCK OUT!!!!