Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of dynoing the RX...

Ok, well, pretty local to me there is a all wheel drive dyno place. Fame in Redmond, WA. The cost is $150 for the first hour, any hour after that is $100. Even on subsequent visits.

So, my questions are:

Should I dyno now, or wait till the next round of upgrades is done?

Would anyone with a stock RX like to dyno with me... That way we could get a baseline measurement for the rest of the community? ::cough:: Mark ::cough:: ;)

Also... has anyone else dyno'd their cars?

Wait till you get more done. and from what i've seen dyno testing is brutal. There is actually a mobile dyno truck that was around here a while ago, said he wasn't going to be back again soo, didn't say when. He's usually at the local car shows, and charges 50$ for three runs on it. Lots cheaper than 150$, and what do you think it would dyno at now? w/ the mbc on it and every thing?

With MBC, the S-AFC, Spider intake, Custom Cold air intake, WRX intercooler... I'm guessing 150 crank horsepower. Stock is 120hp. Maybe putting 100hp to the wheels?

Also, this dyno is more exspensive than most because its an all wheel drive dyno. I wouldn't be able to dyno on a conventional one. Those are for 2wd.

Why do you think dyno's are brutal? I think the brutalness of the dyno comes from how much power you are putting down.

I have a bunch of vids on my computer of cars doing dyno runs... a twin turbo Grand national smoking the tires on one, putting over 1000hp down. And one of a Brat that has a stroked EJ20T in it (i think its stroked) putting down like 500hp.

Seems like its a piece of cake. As long as you have the car good and strapped down.

Well i might be able to get you some free dyno time, down in the beaverton area. Might be a few weeks out as the dyno just went online and has a heavy backlog of vehicles needing time on it. Let me look into it though.

Also Would you be interested in trying out some engine management on it?

Love to give you one, but as those cars have 0 attraction right now (read $$$ to be made) for the company I work for, I can't swing it. However the Unichip if successful on the hot wire MAF turbo EA-82 cars might make enough $$$ to justify the expense of the time put into making it work.

DanBob99, the problem with a mobile unit is that it is usually only for 2WD (front or rear), the unit at FAME is a 4WD unit, and that last time I saw Tex's car it was a Fulltime 4WD, and you can run those on a 2WD unit.

Tex, baseline??????? Your car?????? NOT!!!!!!!!!!! But if you wanted to see if your mods did any improvement, it would be good to run it before. Just let them not that you are trying to get a baseline for your car and they won't do any tuning. That is what eats up the time. I had them sort out UltimateRXs wiring problem for me, but we didn't get it running well enough to put it on the dyno. That would have been interesting.

Witte, I think there is a 4WD dyno somewhere in the Portland area, but it sounds like you are working for a place that has a dyno. Hey do you still have that Legacy 5 speed?? E-mail me if you do.

this is something I've been thinking about as well. I've metioned it to wjm, as we have a Mustang AWD dyno just about 30 minutes from here in Mooresville, NC. If I take my car up, I can pull the MBC and it will give us some fairly close to baseline numbers, as the only other mods I have is a bottomless airbox and a glasspack in place of the factory muffler. I actually wanted to dyno it a couple pulls without the mbc, and a couple with it, with the boost up ~12psi.

I just realized a really cool perk available to me since I have a part-time 4WD car...easy dyno access...hehe :D (I'd still prefer the full-time 4WD system, given the other tradeoffs, though...LOL).

The nearest AWD dyno from here is about 2-2.5hrs away, the nearest 2WD dyno is like 15 minutes from where I work...LOL

Hmmm...that's the AWD one right? I'd be really interested to know what the RS will put down once the cams are installed (and I can always dyno the RX locally on a 2WD dyno).

As for when, anytime after the cam install...LOL :D (which could be in the next couple weeks depending on Dale's schedule)

Corky - I want to get a STOCK RX to dyno also, so I can see where i've come from. Gives me something to compare my findings with. I think I may just hold off on the next round of upgrades until I get this done.

Holding off is going to be hard though... i have almost all the pieces now. Good thing its cold out, good deterant from working on the car.

Gee Tex, nobody has ever asked me to Dyno with them before:o

I would be down for that, especially if we can hook up with Witte. Might be interested in some engine management too. The RX is one of the better running stock T's I've had. I do have a spider intake, intercooler and a few mods in mind.

Witte, what's you company called? What all do you guys do down there? I'm feeling a little silly, like I should know this.

Mark

Pleadies's RX can be considered stock. Since most people, as soona s they get a SUBARU, and are of performance mind, they hack the airbox and do somethinga bout that stock muffler. I think we can consider it stock....right boys?

I will run MY RX.....:grin:

Cool deal. I think it would be rad to hook up with Witte, and possiblly get some engine management for my RX. Mark, glad to hear that you might be in. I'll see if I can get something together for us seattlites.

Who else would be interested in a dyno day sometime soon thats in the Seattle area, or would be willing to drive for it?