Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding a Hidden Hitch - avoid my mistake

Finally got a Hidden Hitch for my 87 dl wagon and was too much of a hurry to bolt it on. These hitches bolt on using the 7 bolts from the rear tie down rings. Three of the seven bolts broke when I tried removing them and it was a big pain to drill out the studs and retap the threads. What I should have done is take my time and remove the rear bumper; with the bumper removed, you have easy access to spray on penetrating fluid to the bolt threads / welded nuts.

I put one of those on my 93 Loyale. The removal of the bumper was so easy, a revelation in how a car should be built! It also gave me a chance to knock about 10 pounds of dust, rust and crud out of the bumper.

In addition to the towhook bolts, there are 2 new bolts that go into the "framerails" a foot or two closer to the front of the car. How were you planning on putting the nuts on those bolts, with the bumper still stuck in the ends of the rails?

I put the tow hooks back on, even though the instructions say to leave them off. They supply extra long bolts....

I have had no problems as yet, with either the hitch or the hooks.

I still plan on removing the bumper in order to add nuts to the three oversized bolts that I installed. Will also see about adding those extra 2 bolts. I'd also like to put the towhooks back on - will look for longer bolts.

I put one of those on my 93 Loyale. The removal of the bumper was so easy, a revelation in how a car should be built! It also gave me a chance to knock about 10 pounds of dust, rust and crud out of the bumper.

In addition to the towhook bolts, there are 2 new bolts that go into the "framerails" a foot or two closer to the front of the car. How were you planning on putting the nuts on those bolts, with the bumper still stuck in the ends of the rails?

I put the tow hooks back on, even though the instructions say to leave them off. They supply extra long bolts....

I have had no problems as yet, with either the hitch or the hooks.