Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you see whats new ? on my Brat

rguyver

Oh crap... I think I just wet myself.. Only thing I'd put on that Brat would be some hot chick :lol:

Lovin those brake..

guess what thomas....i got to see this bad boy in person.....twice:headbang: trust me when i say this, its more impressive to see in person. take a close look at his hood scoop...definatly one of the coolest brats ever to charge the highways.:banana:

"long life canadia!!!"

-monstaru, wcss july 2007:grin:

-Dalton

look like some nice big brembos...

did you do anything with the master when you did this? and have you done anything with the rears yet?

i have some 4 pot welwoods on the front of my wagon and i feel that the stock master dose not push eough fluid to get the full braking power out of the large calipers and rotors...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Subaru_Brat_with_Brembos_026.jpg02 ver7 brembos all round :clap: i have the WRX master (sti is the same size i checked ) with the stock 1983 booster it will lock up the rear first so i have to install a restricter valve in the rear .

there was some welding ,drilling and grinding to make it all work but the key is to have the XT6 rear hub so that the rear roters work with the backing plate.

in the front i used the compleet sti nuckle i had to cut new axels to the proper size but the xt6 use the same splines and would have worked but ended up to short compaired to the xt6 nuckles.Subaru_Brat_with_Brembos_024.jpg

so you used the brembo rear calaper but the XT6 rotor and hub. this means you have no parking brake, right???

not a huge deal.

that is Awesome. if you have any pics of how you did the rear. i would love to see. i am getting ready to do somthing simaular on my wagon. i have the parts just need the time.

by the way... you do awesome work!!! looks good!!!

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

so you used the brembo rear calaper but the XT6 rotor and hub. this means you have no parking brake, right???

not a huge deal.

that is Awesome. if you have any pics of how you did the rear. i would love to see. i am getting ready to do somthing simaular on my wagon. i have the parts just need the time.

by the way... you do awesome work!!! looks good!!!

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I used the STI roter backing plate and caliper with the XT6 hub on the stock arms, note the ring welded in and the new holes drilled in the backing plate this swap would work with WRX and turbo leg. brakes.

im working on the E brake and will have that worked out soon . i think :confused:Subaru_Brat_with_Brembos_012.jpgSubaru_Brat_with_Brembos_010.jpgSubaru_Brat_with_Brembos_006.jpg

you could just use a hydraulic one. a local guy is doing that in his impreza ('96 Lx getting an '05 WRX drivetrain). it just plumbs into your brake lines, and puts pressure on just the rear brake lines.

I thought of that but like Hodaka Rider said its not legal , also i have to park on hills some times and a hydrolic would eventualy bleed down , it would work on a rally car if all you were doing was Ebrake slides , it would give you good stoping power .

hydrolic would eventualy bleed down

it would?! huh.....well....plan B then.

I park on hills, all the time (Duluth has been referred to as the little San Fransisco more than a few times). so I need to have a parking brake.

for now, I'm just using my 200SX calipers, but there will come a time when I will want to upgrade.

awesome!!! you gotta come help me out with my brat.

:rolleyes:

350Z comes with hydrolic handbrake... so it is legal... you just gotta do it right...:)

to make it legal you have to have a completely seperate hydrolic system.

I still would never trust a hydro. e brake all seals will leek eventualy . my luck on a hill:eek:

With all the projects i got on the go i dont have time to do all my stuff! but ill help with any info with your brat , Van is still 5h away, if you were closer no problem. i would like to see that thing go you will be the only one like it for 100mi around .

so I see what you did on the modifying of the backing plate but I'm curious on how you worked the axle to work with the EJ end that has the lugs on it....
like i said you have to use the xt6 hub , the part with the splines that has the lugs on it .

"I used the STI roter backing plate and caliper with the XT6 hub on the stock arms,"

Hmm I'm still not quite following. Maybe its cause its been awhile since I've had an XT6 hub off since doing my 5-lug a couple years ago but I thought the lugs themselves were pressed into the hub/rotor assembly which is all one setup? Got anymore pics? Only way I'll remember in person is if I decide to tear my car apart again which isn't gonna happen for awhile:-\

Hmm I'm still not quite following. Maybe its cause its been awhile since I've had an XT6 hub off since doing my 5-lug a couple years ago but I thought the lugs themselves were pressed into the hub/rotor assembly which is all one setup? Got anymore pics? Only way I'll remember in person is if I decide to tear my car apart again which isn't gonna happen for awhile:-\

He already posted the picture...

Subaru_Brat_with_Brembos_010.jpg

The hub is the ring with studs on it, being held in by the castle nut.

Rguyver, over in AUS a CrossBred Performance made a kit to put impreza brakes on EA chassis cars, in their setup they seemed to have an adapter/spacer for the backing plate. Does the backing plate seem to need that?

The backing plate needs no spacer if you use the XT6 hub it puts the roter in the right spot for the backing plate when you weld the ring flush to the back of it . its so easy its stupid but you need a XT6 5lug hub to make it work on the older 80's rear arms . (shaft splines are diffrent)

that is so mad stupid absolutely f'n amazing simple so you redrill the backing plate and put it on the xt6 trailing arm. sweet!

dont forget the ring i had to weld in .

I had a 1/4" thick lazer cut ring made to step down the inner hole size the new holes endup right on the seem of the inner ring .

dont forget the ring i had to weld in .

I had a 1/4" thick lazer cut ring made to step down the inner hole size the new holes endup right on the seem of the inner ring .

So if I was to send you EJ and XT6 backing plates, would you have a chance to do it again?:-p

Oh and I had my car apart in the back end and now I know how it all works. I was forgetting the XT6 rotor was screwed to the actual hub and was thinking the rotor WAS the hub and the lugs pressed into it:clap: