Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which clutch?

i'm going to go buy a new clutch kit today and i have a few questions for the addicts out there(mostly all of us).

i was wondering if there is a better clutch that i can put in my 5spdD/R that will bolt directly on, or with little modding, to my ea82. maybe one for an XT6, SVX, WRX STi?:brow:

what parts usually come with a clutch kit? This way i'll know what to look for.

also, does anybody know of a write up that would tell me how to swap my clutch?

i'm going to start wrenching probably tomorrow.

they run the same clutch on turbo ea82 that they run on carbed ea81s.

thats around 40hp difference, and the turbos can go 200k without a clutch change...

so, i would just run a generic $200 clutch kit, with throughout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch plate, and pressure plate, and alignment tool. thats everything, and it shoul hold fine untill you ditch the car.

i like to pull the engine to do a clutch, because its easier than crawling around on the ground, and nothing is easier than a subaru motor swap. but others will say loosen the tranny and just pull it back around 6 inches, and you can do it that way.

you might need to resurface your flywheel, if you let it go too long, like metal rivits on metal flywheel. but if it looks relatively smooth and not blue or brown, or gouged, on the mating surfaces, i would run it