Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5spd D/R conversion Qs...

hey all,

my 4spd D/R clutch is starting to slip and I am contemplating putting in my 5spd D/R set up now.

I have been reading the archives and I am curious about Jerry's Kit. He still making them?? What exactly is it?

I am doing this to an 82 GLW w/ a 4spd DR, I have the 5spd D/R w/ ctr dif, 3.7 LSD, drive shaft, trailing arms from an RX

will ea81 CV shafts work (spline issues?)

any advice appreciated about tunnel clearance, cables, pedals.

thx

shanonsf

Are you going to off-road it? If so, you should know that the RX trans is not much good for that. It's low range is only 1.2, and coupled with a 3.7 diff, that results in a crawl ratio of 4.44, where as your 4 spd D/R has a low range ratio of 1.45 and a rear end of 3.9 resulting in a crawl ratio 5.655. (you of course need to multiply these by the ratio of first gear to get your final output ratio, but you get the idea).

If you are going to rally it, then it might be alright.....

You might run into spline issues - the turbo cars had 25 spline on the EA82's, so I think the RX trans does as well. The EA81 axles will not fit if that is the case.

Just some info for you....

GD

with the loyale 5 speed it's about a total of 22:1 final crawl ratio. with the stock ea81 4speed d/r it's about a 20:1 crawl ratio.

i'm not sure if jerry is still making those kits.

more than likely there will be spline issues. cause even on the ea82 turbos. you have to swap front shafts to put the d/r in.

Tristan - no - the 4 speed and 5 speed are completely different internally.

Jared - he's talking about an RX D/R, not a loyale one, the RX has a higher lo gear - 1.2:1 instead of 1.45:1, and requires a 3.7 diff, DRAMATICALLY reducing his crawl ratio. The 4 speed is better. But as he pointed out, he's not off-roading, so crawl is not what he's looking for.

GD