Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Chrysler 300M or 2004 Chevy Aveo 5

I am thinking of buying a new car. I have narrowed it down to two prospects and now I would like some input if possible. I need to know what to look for when test driving and what to ask when at the dealership. Please help if you can.

The first car is 2001 Chrysler 300M with 83k miles. Its automatic w/autostick feature. Its seems to be a very nice car, well taken care of. It has all the options like pw, pl, sunroof, cruise control, leather.What I am curious about is if there are any known problems with these vehicles? Whats the average lifespan?

NEXT!

The second is a 2004 Chevy Aveo 5 Hatchback with 33k miles. It is a 5speed. It seems to be a plain car. No power options. However it does have cruise control. I am not sure of the reliability of these cars since they are made in korea. The low miles is something I am looking for, however I need it to be reliable. Have any thoughts?

Humm i don't know what to tell you. I've seen alot of the 300M on the side of the road and on flat beds. Does it have the new hemi? And about the Aveo, IDK i guess there ok it kinda reminds me of the Geo prizm in a way and a Kia Reo. But i would say the Aveo will have less problems and will save more gas:lol: SO....... I would go with the Aveo. I'm sorry i don't know more about them. Not a big Chevy fan..

WOW, you're not trying to compare apples and oranges, you're comparing apples and watermelons! Those cars have two entirely different raison d'etre. Which do you want, luxury and room or economy?

Don't know about the relative merits of either one. Our only Chrysler is a '95 LeBaron Convertible we keep in Hawaii. It's starting to break small things, but has never given us any major headaches in the seven years we've had it.

I'd buy a Subaru. :lol:

I never saw a 300M with a hemi,it was called the 300C. Like Smitty said you're comparing two different classes of cars and it's up to you to decide what features you are looking for more. A couple of my current employees drive the Aveo and they seem decent enough but they don't handle hard driving. The 300 M is a nice car other then the wierd sight lines out the windows.the biggest problem I remember with them was in brakes/rotors and some fuel injector issues easily overcome if it hasn't been already which I think with that kind of mileage would be.

Is this all the dealer is offering you or something??

There ARE other fish in the sea (preferibly japanese models)

Though if your credit is so so you may have to take what you can get.

I think the Aveo will be more reliable given that the 300 is OLD by comparison. What you save in gas will pay for any repairs it may need too. :banana:

I would avoid any Chrysler that is built on the Intrepid platform. They have a well deserved reputation as transmission eaters. I know nothing about the Aveo.

+1

Add an oddly high waterpump failure rate that that motor has, and its an all around no go.

Mine was somewhere around $700 to have the water pump done.

ok, I can't tell you much about the 300, but here's my feelings on the Aveo: The Aveo is a smaller version of the same Daewoo design that the Suzuki Forenza and Reno are based on. The Suzuki Forenza/Reno (the'yre the same car, just 4- or 5-door) are the biggest peices of garbage on the road today. Thank God they have a 100k powertrain warranty, but the overall warranty still runs out at 36k. The whole car is dieing on its feet...the wiring harness, engine accessories (water pump, alternator), airbag harness, sensors and solenoids all over the car (O2 sensor, Fuel tenk pressure sensor, purge solenoid, etc), interior accessories (radio, clock, trim, door handles, seat belts, etc etc) and sometimes transmissions, are falling apart. The fuel delivery system (injectors, MAP sensor, throttle body, PCV/breather) starts getting clogged up within 30,000 miles and starts messing up the car's running ability. The computer has to be TOLD when to re-learn its idle, and TOLD how to compensate for aging/wear of its components...otherwise will start to run like crap. The scan tool that we're supplied with from Suzuki many times can't even see DTC's when they come up and we have to retrieve them with other brands of code pullers. They many times start develloping a very-long crank, sometimes not even starting at all. Suzuki has released MANY updates for all these problems, and really have not even fixed a single one. It's standard procedure for lots of problems to clear the codes, update the ECM and send them on their way. These aren't just occasional examples, all these issues I've mentioned are things we see just about every day.

I can't specifically say fromt personal experience that the Aveo has all these problems, but if you look under the hood and car, it's exactly the same car, just smaller. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Disclaimer: The Forenza/Reno, and the Verona (production actually stopped because of massive problems as well) are the only Daewoo-based Suzuki cars. The New XL7 is a Suzuki-GM hybrid, but other than that, Japanese-designed Suzuki's are actually pretty decent cars. We rarely see SX4 (5-speed is kinda fun to drive, and has a rally competing version), Aerio, Grand Vitara, XL7, or older Suzuki's back for any significant warranty work. A 4-door SX4 just got released, and the Swift is coming back, so don't be discouraged from buing a Suzuki, they're really half-way decent little cars...just don't touch the Korean ones.

~Erik~

I dont like the aveo due to personal taste. DO NOT BUY THE 300! Its rare that i declare a car an outright lemon, this is one of those times. There is an entire board dedicated to this cars troubles. At least the Aveo always starts and keeps runing untill you shut it off, the 300 seems to have a problem with this concept.

nipper