Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

to everyone who has done the 6 lug conversion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rossta86

Rossta86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Northern VA (Woodbridge)

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:17 PM

I completed the 6 lug conversion and i love it. I drive my brat every day with out any major problems from it, but i still want to ask some other people who have done it a couple questions, so maybe i could refine my conversion.

1.What size drill bit did you use? 9/16 or did u find a 13 mm drill but that would go through the front hubs with out being eaten up after 1 hole.

2.Also if u did use 9/16 drill bit what kind of studs are u running.(from what kind of vehicle?) My stock subaru studs can be pushed in and out of the wholes almost efortlessly.

3.What did you do about the uneven area on the front hubs(where the back of the stud should sit, but the surface is not flush). Did you grind down one side of your stud or did u grind the hub so its flat?

Thats all i can think of at the moment maybe some more questions will come to me later. Thanks

#2 Nomad

Nomad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • A Little South of Sanity

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:28 PM

6 lugs are better than four, I say!

Anyhow, I went the slighty lazy route... I had a shop drill out the holes since I sold all my machinery, a while back. I honestly have no idea what size bit they used...although i bet they used a few of them!

As for the studs, I used stock Subies, as the holes were bang on tight. mine wont budge.

I welded up the uneven portions, then ground them flat... i had to do this both front and rear IIRC, as I've got rear discs.

I used Mazda 14" rims, as I don't have a lift yet, and their offsets match the original rims perfectly.

#3 Rossta86

Rossta86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply nomad. Yea they must have drilled them with a 13 mm drill bit i believe. Anyone else out there?

#4 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:17 PM

the mazdas had a big enough center hole? or was that moded too?

#5 Nomad

Nomad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • A Little South of Sanity

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:37 PM

Turns out that the centre hole was a *tight* fit, so I had the hub centres taken down by about a 64th. They did that for free.

The rims would fit, but VERY tight. I wanted to be able to take the wheels off, sometime!

Still drivin',

#6 PoorManzImpreza

PoorManzImpreza

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • BARBADOS

Posted 08 December 2003 - 06:40 PM

from what I have measured the holes are exactly 14mm, 9/16 is 14.2875mm now a 14mm twist dril won't give you exactly 14 mm but it'll be close..13 will be too small...You'd risk damaging the stud or the hud if you tried pressing the stud into a 13mm bore..

#7 Rossta86

Rossta86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 06:43 PM

13 mm stuck in my mind when i was looking at a poster at the machince shop, but it could have been 14 mm. Either way i drilled with a 9/16 and the wholes are just slightly too big for the studs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users