Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to everyone who has done the 6 lug conversion

I completed the 6 lug conversion and i love it. I drive my brat every day with out any major problems from it, but i still want to ask some other people who have done it a couple questions, so maybe i could refine my conversion.

1.What size drill bit did you use? 9/16 or did u find a 13 mm drill but that would go through the front hubs with out being eaten up after 1 hole.

2.Also if u did use 9/16 drill bit what kind of studs are u running.(from what kind of vehicle?) My stock subaru studs can be pushed in and out of the wholes almost efortlessly.

3.What did you do about the uneven area on the front hubs(where the back of the stud should sit, but the surface is not flush). Did you grind down one side of your stud or did u grind the hub so its flat?

Thats all i can think of at the moment maybe some more questions will come to me later. Thanks

6 lugs are better than four, I say!

Anyhow, I went the slighty lazy route... I had a shop drill out the holes since I sold all my machinery, a while back. I honestly have no idea what size bit they used...although i bet they used a few of them!

As for the studs, I used stock Subies, as the holes were bang on tight. mine wont budge.

I welded up the uneven portions, then ground them flat... i had to do this both front and rear IIRC, as I've got rear discs.

I used Mazda 14" rims, as I don't have a lift yet, and their offsets match the original rims perfectly.

Turns out that the centre hole was a *tight* fit, so I had the hub centres taken down by about a 64th. They did that for free.

The rims would fit, but VERY tight. I wanted to be able to take the wheels off, sometime!

Still drivin',