Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It make take a while. Subaru still thinks our dollar is in the 60 cent US range like it was 5 or 6 years ago. It's why I buy used..

i.e. Canadian price

2.5GT Sedan 4-cylinder turbo engine

Perforated leather interior

Premium audio system

Power moonroof

SI-DRIVE Engine Management System

View complete specs Starting at $40,295

http://www.subaru.ca/PricingTrim01.asp?WebPageID=6686&Range=Legacy&ModelYear=2008&WebSiteID=282

and now check out the US price...

2008 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited

Starting at $28,295*

A powerful engine and enriched amenities make the Legacy 2.5 GT Limited inviting to the senses. Sporty additions like sport-design electroluminescent lighting and performance-design front seats only add to the thrill of the drive.

http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_consideration.jsp?model=LEGACY

My father-in-law and I were just talking about him purchasing a 2008 Nissan Maxima in Canada vs. the United States. The Canadian price is $53,000 and the American price is $38,000. After paying the GST and Duty at the border, the price for importing one would ~$43,000 and the dealership says the warranty is valid in Canada as long as the local Nissan dealership is aware of the purchase and it is put on record.

At the rate the US dollar is going down, Canadians will soon be refusing to take change back from a large bill in those funny looking small green bills.

:banana::grin::banana:

Many Canadian Subaru dealers are on the verge of going broke thanks to cross-border shopping. Subaru has some of the worst price differences from Canada to the US. On a WRX, even with the lower 08 model pricing, it's possible to save $6K. On a Tribeca, people have saved close to $15K. Legacy models are awful, and sales in Canada are very poor thanks to the high pricing. Many people have saved $15K on Legacy and Outback GT models. Foresters are a HUGE deal in the US, even after paying the 6% duty.

I would NOT buy a new Subaru in Canada. Montana, here we come...

Many Canadian Subaru dealers are on the verge of going broke thanks to cross-border shopping. Subaru has some of the worst price differences from Canada to the US. On a WRX, even with the lower 08 model pricing, it's possible to save $6K. On a Tribeca, people have saved close to $15K. Legacy models are awful, and sales in Canada are very poor thanks to the high pricing. Many people have saved $15K on Legacy and Outback GT models. Foresters are a HUGE deal in the US, even after paying the 6% duty.

I would NOT buy a new Subaru in Canada. Montana, here we come...

AMEN! :clap::headbang::clap:

I work for a company that does a lot of business with US companies. Many of our contracts (often a year in duration) are in US $. The weak US $ and our strong Canadian $ is killing us! :dead: Sure, it's great when I personally buy some item out of the States, but I could soon be out of a job, our company closed, etc. It will happen to some. You can only bleed red ink for so long.

I was just reading an article about price differences between US and Canada on vehicles. Several years ago when our loonie ($) was worth 65 cents US, we had some of the best prices on the planet. My ex bought a 99 Honda van. In the US, it was an easy $5k more at that time. Today, the tables have turned. Now we are the ones getting hit. Car companies simply can't react to every little change in currency fluctuations. It would create a lot of instability in the market. They have to look at the big picture (multi-national) and hope that the 'pluses' in one country cover the 'minuses' in another. In the longer term, they can slowly move the pricing.

There was a newspaper article a while ago that looked at about a dozen industries in Canada and the impact of our rising $. Most were negatively impacted moderately to severely. A couple bordered on neutrality. One came out ahead; our air line. Most of their revenue is in Canadian funds but most of their expenses are in US funds. It was the only industry to gain.

Sorry, getting off topic. A strong $ has its pros and cons.

Commuter

How long should we give them to correct the prices? 3 years?, 4, 5, 6? Subaru still things it's 2000 when our doller was around 60 cents. For the past couple years it's been around 85 to 95 cents but Subaru (and others) continue to rip off Canadians.

Everyone was quick to raise prices as our dollar dropped but as it climbed they seemed to forget to make the same correction.

Right now a WRX wagon is $33,895 in Canada but only $24,850 in the States.:mad: :mad: Why should Subaru make an extra $9000 profit off me?

• 2 weeks later...

There was a good article in Saturday's Montreal Gazette about buying vehicles across the border...(in the U.S.).

One of the Vermont dealers, (Bill McBride), says he's been warned by Subaru of America that if he sells new cars to Canadians he'll be penalized,(he will no longer get the cars of "choice"). He can however sell used Subies to Canucks.

It's important to note that the savings are greatest on the cars made in the U.S.(Example..the Legacy), because there's no duty. The Forester's are made overseas so we'd pay duty.

The Gov't of Canada's website contains a list of cars which may or may not be imported. For some reason, Some Foresters,(such as the L.L Bean), are not allowed in.

Here's the list.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/VAFUS.pdf