Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

ff1driversidedoor.jpg

ff1inside1.jpg

ff1glovebox.jpg

f11floorfrontpassanger.jpg

ff1floorrear.jpg

I can't get in the trunk yet without a key, but it looks like a few things came with the car...

ff1trunksuprize.jpg

Now here is the biggest problem so far that i've found...

Rust.jpg

So the car obviously needs A LOT of work. Ill start cleaning it out tommorow, then seeing what I can do about the body. Ill have to find a shop that can repair that kind of body work. Luckly the roof and doors seem in good shape, unlike the '78 I worked on...

If my memory serves me, it's an EA61, 1100cc (Sad thing is it has almost as much HP as a 1600... They had an ff-1 1300G Sport that I don't think ever made it here that had a high compression 96 HP 1300 in it.. We did get the 1300G but not the sport, I think...

As for the keys, it's a super long shot but take the door lock cylinders out and see if there is a code stamped into the back of one of them (Should be the driver's one but not sure) and I will see if our key cutter will recognize it... Since the ff-1 used the same key blanks as the 80s cars, they MIGHT have used the same codes for the keys.... Worth a try at least...

You don't need the key to get into the trunk, lift out the back seat squab and back rest, no tools needed as they just clip in. from there you can access the latch from the inside and you will feel a little tab in the latch from there just move it over and you have the trunk open, easy.

Thierry

Twin brake fluid tanks i see, the aussie FF1 had only one ecept for the sports which had 2, so your model has the same master cylinder as the sport version, split brake system, now see if you can find a disc brake gearbox to put in the car, from memory the front disc was 11 inch in diameter, big for such a small car.

Thierry

Here at Charlie's place:

Img1000.JPG

Check my album for more,but there's only a couple at the moment. I'll add more later as I have time.

This one is packed with ff-1 parts.

I'd put Charlie right along side of Thierry. They both are about the same age and had started with Subarus in the early years. Only difference I see is that Charlie was able to be more of a packrat. Either of these guys are capable of helping you out with actual experiences. Charlie keeps threatening to join the board here but to date I believe he only comes through occasionally as a viewer.

Also,this car has the driver's side rear pillar vent cover,which I snagged for you. I think I have the passenger side NEW from the stock purchase. I know for sure I have one of those,just can't recall which side.

From your pictures I can see several parts I should have for you.

Protect that baby! :cool:

Talk to you soon,

Paul

Img1001.JPG

Looks like a winner! Lot's of potential there. I'm so happy that it landed in good hands.

If I can help in the future, just call upon me.

Oh...you got a free light bulb too in the deal!!!

I might have some parts, manuals, lit, or other incidentals around here.

Todd

Looks like its gonna be a fun little project. If you're planning on having the whole body redone, might be worthwhile to strip the car down to a rolling shell yourself to save money instead of having the shop do it. Its still going to be quite a chunk of money to have a shop do it though with the rust issues that I see you have. Overall, seems like a good car. If I was in the area, I'd come on by and help you with the bodywork, then paint it for you but drat....:rolleyes:

You don't need the key to get into the trunk, lift out the back seat squab and back rest, no tools needed as they just clip in. from there you can access the latch from the inside and you will feel a little tab in the latch from there just move it over and you have the trunk open, easy.

Thierry

Thanks, I was hoping there was a lever or switch in there to open it from the inside :)

If my memory serves me, it's an EA61, 1100cc (Sad thing is it has almost as much HP as a 1600... They had an ff-1 1300G Sport that I don't think ever made it here that had a high compression 96 HP 1300 in it.. We did get the 1300G but not the sport, I think...

Suprisingly enough, the Service manual I have has ALL the info about that "sport" EA63 engine...

In an idea world, I'd want to find one of those drivetrains (including the transmission with inboard DISC brakes instead of drum brakes) from Japan or elsewhere like maudsland mentioned and have it imported...

Is it me or is there no cap on the oil fill tub? Wonder how long that engine has been open to the elements. :( I cant wait to see the progress on this car though. I love that everyone who could helped out and is coming through to save on of the few remaining ff-1s.

Yup, no oil cap :( However, the hood appears to have been closed almost the whole time. Theres very little dirt/dust in the engine bay compaired to the rest of the car.

Looks like its gonna be a fun little project. If you're planning on having the whole body redone, might be worthwhile to strip the car down to a rolling shell yourself to save money instead of having the shop do it. Its still going to be quite a chunk of money to have a shop do it though with the rust issues that I see you have. Overall, seems like a good car. If I was in the area, I'd come on by and help you with the bodywork, then paint it for you but drat....:rolleyes:

It may need to be striped down even farther from being a rolling chassis... Maybe down to just the chassis itself. I'd need something to put it on to roll it off the driveway though.

Day 2:

I only worked on the car a little while today, less than I expected...

So anyway, the first thing I did was take the two "good" 13" steelies I had (one on this car, one was the spare in the 78 wagon) and put them on the wagon and swaped the 15" pugs onto the FF-1 :) However, as you can see in the pics, they don't quite clear the fenders... I'm going to adjust the suspension height (yes this car has adjustable suspension height) and see how that works.

The second thing I did was clean the interior just a bit and pop the trunk to clean that out...

The bad news - The floorboard looks rusty and the fuel tank looks like it leaks...

The good news - The trunk is in good shape and the rubber trunk mat is 100%...

The worst news - ALL the foam inside the car is 100% rotted... Seats, rear seat, dash, roof, ALL completely shot...

I'm definatly going to have to totally gut the car and go from there...

So anyway, here are the pics from today. Enjoy!

ff1day2side4.jpg

ff1day2side3.jpg

ff1day2side2.jpg

ff1day2side1.jpg

ff1day2pugsside.jpg

ff1day2pug2.jpg

ff1day2bustedlight.jpg

ff1day2driverside.jpg

ff1day2driverfloor.jpg

ff1day2rearfloor.jpg

f11day2passangerfloor.jpg

Did you end up getting any pics of it sitting back on the ground with your pugs on it by chance? Underbody looks pretty decent as well. Maybe I'll have to schedule a vacation next spring to come down and visit my aunt... and possibly come by and take a gander at this little tyke. I bet we could get the bodywork done in a week or so.

It wont clear the fenders on the ground :P I need to try some height adjustments and see if that will help... If not, ill chop the fender. The rear fenders on this car are those hang-over kind that make it hard to fit wider tires.

I'm definitely open to visitors if anyone is interested in seeing it :)

YES! I'm many happy that you got that car. Except for the little rust it looks nice and solid for such a commonly neglected car. The Pug wheels look SWEET on it! Makes that somewhat French looking car look very French, which may be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I could just see that thing lifted and 4WD converted (not a suggestion, just a thought, I mean, everythings better lifted! : ) ) Which end of Roseville are you in? My cousins live there and I visit once or twice a year usually, I'd love to see it. Does she run yet? And one last thing, according to the Wikipedia article on EA engines, which appears to be fairly new and seems like a USMB member write it, shouldn't it have the EA52 1 liter?

Is it me or is there no cap on the oil fill tub? Wonder how long that engine has been open to the elements. :( I cant wait to see the progress on this car though. I love that everyone who could helped out and is coming through to save on of the few remaining ff-1s.

When I first opened the hood on the car in the junk yard, it had a rag stuffed into oil filler tube, it just didn't look right so I pulled it out. I don't think much of anything got into the engine from there.

worknwood.

YES! I'm many happs that you got that car. Except for the little rust it looks nice and solid for such a commonly neglected car. The Pug wheels look SWEET on it! Makes that somewhat French looking car look very French, which may be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I could just see that thing lifted and 4WD converted (not a suggestion, just a thought, I mean, everythings better lifted! : ) ) Which end of Roseville are you in? My cousins live there and I visit once or twice a year usually, I'd love to see it. Does she run yet? And one last thing, according to the Wikipedia article on EA engines, which appears to be fairly new and seems like a USMB member write it, shouldn't it have the EA52 1 liter?

I'm south of Oakmont HS.

I dont think it will be running that soon... I'm going to have to make the interior livable before I start trying to run it.

It has the 1.1l EA61 (1100)

I'm south of Oakmont HS.

I dont think it will be running that soon... I'm going to have to make the interior livable before I start trying to run it.

It has the 1.1l EA61 (1100)

Sweet, they live on E. Colonial, that's like half a mile away! Anyways keep us posted on the progress, that car is uber awesomeness

Dont you dare touch the fenders, or i will fly over there and rip your arms off!!!!, i fitted a set of 13x5 inch rims from a l series subie with 175/70/13 and it clear very well, earlier rims with those tyres will fowl the fenders, but never had access to the 14inch rims off some l series so they might clear with 185/60/14 tyres

Thierry