Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

These are as rare as rocking horse poop, even more rare than a unsold still wraped in plastic FF-1, but around there are twin exhaust port heads to suit a ea71, and i am sure that the 71 and 81 heads interchangeable. How do i know about these rare heads, ive seen a set from a guy who rallied a factory subie back in the mid 70's. I bought my first FF-1 sports off this guy. In saying i have modified a set of ea63 heads to fit a ea71, went like a rocket, i think i said how it was done somewhere in this thread or another FF-1 linked thread.

Cheers Thierry

I know, but it would be nice if there was a head for ea81 that had both, dual intake ports and dual exhaust. hhmmmmm.....

Its either Sub4 or Ram Performance. One of those companies made heads with dual intake ports/single exhaust ports (Ram I think). The other had dual in, dual out (Sub4 I think). Also built to the tune of $1500 and $2000 USD respectively.

Its either Sub4 or Ram Performance. One of those companies made heads with dual intake ports/single exhaust ports (Ram I think). The other had dual in, dual out (Sub4 I think). Also built to the tune of $1500 and $2000 USD respectively.

yeah i think they both do. cant check out sub4 website anymore coz the page dont come up anymore:-\

Day 12

I got the engine out today courtesy maudsland's suggestion!

Lets just say, lots of grease everywhere, I NEED a hot tank badly!!! Ill see if I can get one tomorrow...

I disassembled most of the engine as well. The shortblock is TINY! Its even quite a bit smaller than the EA71 from my old wagon... The pistons are small as well as you can see.

As for the cylinder heads, they will need some work for better flow... They need port matching to the EA63 intake manifold I have, plus could use some exhaust port work. It MAY be possible to run larger valves too, but i'm not sure whats involved with that.

Anyway, enough talk, here are the pics...

ff1day12engineout.jpg

ff1day12enginebay1.jpg

ff1day12clutchfork.jpg

ff1day12clutchnflywheel.jpg

ff1day12shortblock.jpg

ff1day12shortblockrear.jpg

ff1day12pistons.jpg

ff1day12heads.jpg

ff1day12suspension1.jpg

ff1day12steering1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I figured some of you might enjoy this comparison, gives you a better idea of exactly how small the EA61 actually is...

ejvsea3.jpg

ejvsea1.jpg

ejvsea2.jpg

As you can see, I got the valves out today.

I'm still not sure what I should do about the shortblock... Leave it or split it? It needs cleaning at the very least, which is hard to do while its not split. But if I cant get it back together again, theres no good reason to split it...