Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

I forget but did you look into maybe modifying some 2wd EA82Turbo rear discs to work with your FF-1 rear suspension? That would be pretty cool...

-Bill

They have a 3-bolt mounting pattern, which is different. It might be do-able, but the bearings might mount differently too, which would be a more difficult issue.

I'd need to see them to be sure though...

Edited by Kostamojen

Well the drums I ordered didn't pan out... They are totally different :(

drumcomparo.jpg

The hub mounts differently, the height is different, everything is different...

Has any other year FWD Subaru had Aluminum rear drums???

Anyway, I did get another suggestion that might help with the wheels. I'll look into that and report back later...

you might be able to find some this guy

http://medford.craigslist.org/pts/979755765.html

I posted that over in the ebay/craigslist section... I only need a couple parts, and a couple of those i'll have repaired. The driver side glass and the vent covers are all I really need, and i'm contemplating having someone fabricate custom vent covers.

Honestly, other than the engine, theres really no other Subaru that the FF-1 is similar too.

The Chassis, Suspension, body parts/accents/etc. are all completely different than any other model...

But thats why its so great :D

Yes, I Agree! ... it is a Pretty Car! :) I Like it.

There are Few of Them Still Runnin` Fine Here, some 1,100 And Some 1,300 Engine

(Sport I Believe)

Alright, im at a critical juncture here...

I absolutely need to decide on what tire size to run!

I'm still 50/50 on going with 15" or 14" wheels, more specifically I either want to run 195/45/14"s or 195/45/15"s.

Yes, I already have the 14" Enkeis, however they still need restoring (which costs money) and I'd have to have spacers made for the rear (which is an issue due to the studs). But the more I see 15" small profile tires, the more I like them. And I havent seen 15"s on any FF-1's.

So basically, i've figured that each size has its positive and negative attributes:

195/45/14 tires (with either the Enkei wheels, or custom steelies)

Positives - Plenty of clearance to fit them, will allow me to lower the car even more (over 1" of extra lowering due to tire diameter), will accelerate faster due to smaller diameter and lighter weight.

Negatives - Will lower gearing ratio and screw up the speedometer a bit, also they look quite small on a car from the photos i've seen.

195/45/15 tires (with the Australian Superlights, or custom steelies)

Positives - will fill out the wheel wells nicely, will probably look better on the car, won't screw up the speedo/gearing much.

Negatives - more weight, won't lower the car any, with the Superlights they might not clear the front inner fender when turning.

So basically, the 15"s (which I know will clear the fenders if I did custom wheels, they are not that large for 15" tires since they have the 45 series sidewall) might be better for driving the car in rough conditions and at higher speeds and the car and might look more porportional, but the 14's would let me lower the car more which might look better too...

Either way, I still can't decide :( Basically, no matter which route I go, I still need to spend wheel money, and I can sell the Enkeis ASAP for cash which will go straight into any of the other wheel options...

Thoughts/Opinions?

I think the offset is different with pugs anyway, they seem to stick out about 1/2 inch more then the factory wheels do.

This is my first time seeing this thread. I think the 15 pugs look good but yea sit to wide. Heres a question. Have you considered widening the wheel wells. Since your going lower and for a unique look i think it would enhance the stance of your ride. I believe they use fiberglass but it would be alot of custom work. Might be cool to see. Nice project buy the way.

Ben

Edited by The Dude Abides

I think the offset is different with pugs anyway, they seem to stick out about 1/2 inch more then the factory wheels do.

This is my first time seeing this thread. I think the 15 pugs look good but yea sit to wide. Heres a question. Have you considered widening the wheel wells. Since your going lower and for a unique look i think it would enhance the stance of your ride. I believe they use fiberglass but it would be alot of custom work. Might be cool to see. Nice project buy the way.

Ben

Yeah I think pugs are actually wider than that! The widening of the fender thing sounds cool! But it all depends on how "factory" you want to keep the car looking

Ben

-

The rear fender wells were changed:

ff1returns9.jpg

The pugs were not so much of an issue as the 205/55 tires were. With 195/45's they wont stick out from the side of a 6" wide wheel so they will be pretty much "flush" with the rear fender. And with the modified rear fenders, the suspension will bottom out before the tires hit the fender.

The problem with the 15's with the offset that the pugs have (~+25) is the front:

ff18day8ariel1.jpg

Notice how far those wheels stick out even if the fat tires were not on there. However, I could pull the front fenders out, thats not too difficult to do...

Now that wouldn't be an issue if I went with the custom steelie approach, since I could have the offset put exactly how I need it.

Here is another photo of 14's, specifically the Enkei's on an FF-1. Notice how small they look, and the tires I would be using are even smaller than those:

img_6065.jpg

Right now, i'm leaning towards the 15's with custom steelies...

If i were you i would definately go with the 15s. I do like how those pugs look on that butt i can see the offset being a problem. If you were to widen both front and rear wheel wells again, how would that look. Would the front stick out further then the front. With those 15inch weels, wide wells, and a low stance that would look sick.

Buy what year and model is that white subaru with the 15inch pugs anyways.

Well now I'm starting to lean back to the 14's again, after looking closely at more pics (was going to post this earlier, but the site was down):

img_852496_12623985_3.jpg

Notice how the FRONT wheels are pretty much flush with the fender, while the rears are in quite a bit. It appears that the front suspension would work best with a +50 or +45 offset, while the rears need to be much lower, especially dealing with my suspension problem.

Now I'm thinking that the spacers in the rear will even things out...

This won't work with the 15" superlights since they have the same offset as the Pugs, but custom steelies I could do different offsets for front and rear (say, +45 front, +30 rear) and it would work.

Even if the thread pitch isn't the same, you might want to go down to Napa and see if they can find something for you thats longer but will press into the drum and hubs. They might even let you dig around and try and find something and even if you pay a couple bucks for one and it doesn't work, you're still trying to discover how to make it work and everything counts, even if it doesn't work. Just something I'd try to do.

Just a FYI, I am working on the car, mostly just restoring/painting small parts right now to rebuild the suspension.

In the mean time, here are a few pics i've found online recently to tide you over...

P68_75-5.jpg

800px-Subaru_1300G_001.jpg

bbs_1105347_948B83B2C167E119008EC7E.jpg

img_660267_53265186_0.jpg

img_660267_53265186_3.jpg

Oh, and im still mulling over the wheels/tires... I'm having spacers made, but now i've discovered 195/40/16's! :(