Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Alright, time to decide on something else...

Should I go with hood pins, or hood hold downs (IE the external "jeep" kind) or both?

There are some good flush-mounting, locking hood pin devices out there that are intriguing. And I can mount basically anything to this hood the way its set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update...

Ed from the 360 club hooked me up with some original FF-1 tools (including a few tools I NEED for transmission/engine building, along with tools for bearing installation/removal and such)! I'm so glad I was able to find some of these, it will be a life saver for this project :)

ff1tools1.jpg

And I am still working on the car albeit slowly, heres a photo just to give you an idea of some of the parts i'm restoring along with whats going on with the car at this point:

ff1garageview2.jpg

Very nice! So obviously these would work on other 4 lug subys as well. Is there a chance you can produce a bunch of these? I'm sure that you'd have some takers! Looks very good though and I can't wait to see them on the car

I didnt realise people wanted wheel spacers? what would you use them for? putting gen 2 jackman wheels on a gen 3?

I didnt realise people wanted wheel spacers? what would you use them for? putting gen 2 jackman wheels on a gen 3?

Well unless you have Pug rims, older subarus(Gen 2) have a very narrow track width. I would specifically use them if I ever do a mod I've wanted to do. Which is to run Loyale control arms etc. on the front. Then the rear would look really narrow so having some spacers would even it back out. I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this but I thought I heard others talking about it a while back

I've been working on the wheel spacers for the rear. Got all the machining done yesterday, and now its a matter of waiting for hardware that I ordered to arrive and verify that everything works together.

picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=716

By the time I was done there was a LOT of aluminum all over the place :rolleyes:

-Mike

Woot!!!

I saw someone posted in my thread, didn't expect to see pics of the spacers :banana:

They look great!!! Awesome job!

Edited by Kostamojen

Good news!

The spacers showed up today. I'll take some pics during the weekend, but they do look like they will work :)

Bad news...

I dismantled that EA63 I had sitting around, hoping that maybe I could use the pistons/liners in the EA61 block... No go :( Almost nothing is compatible between the two motors, just the crankshaft perhaps and thats it. I can't even use the EA61 heads on the EA63 block.

So if I want to run a larger displacement motor, I'll need to find EA62 or EA63 4-port heads. But right now, its looking like i'll be rebuilding the EA61.

Good news!

So if I want to run a larger displacement motor, I'll need to find EA62 or EA63 4-port heads. But right now, its looking like i'll be rebuilding the EA61.

What are the differences between EA61, EA62 and EA63?

I cant remember and havnt had a look at my 1400s In a long time, but are the EA63 the 1400 Motor lol :lol:

What are the differences between EA61, EA62 and EA63?

I cant remember and havnt had a look at my 1400s In a long time, but are the EA63 the 1400 Motor lol :lol:

EA61 = 1100, actually most closely related to the EA52 (the first boxer from Subaru, also known as the 1000)

EA62 = 1300, only used up to 72 and a little in 73 perhaps

EA63 = 1400, basically a bored out EA62 from what I can tell from the part numbers, and used with both 4-port (until 74) and 2-port heads.

Not much to report, another rainy day today, still just working on painting/restoring individual parts.

However, I've been re-assembling the 72-77 full OEM parts manual that was donated to me into new binders in nice clear plastic sheets to keep the pages from being torn any worse than they already were, and I discovered that If I do want to use the gearing from the ~82-83 FWD transmission I need a 1300 FF-1 transmission case...

Now I did see one of those transmissions on the Japanese Yahoo auctions but I double checked and it appears to be gone (hopefully to be re-listed later). If I can get that case, from what I can tell, the gearing will swap in perfectly! But thats only if I can get one of those cases... (the stupid 1100 transmission doesn't share any parts with the other FWD transmissions, other than the 1000!)

Regards to those wheels magazines on ebay, bit of usless trivia, the cars used in the artical came from the dealer my dad was working at and the sports model used also in the artical i ended up with it later on in life but stripped and used it rebuild a better chassis in the early 80's.

Cheers Thierry

I test-fit the spacers and wheels today in the rear just to make sure they fit:

spacertestfit3.jpg

spacertestfit2.jpg

spacertestfit1.jpg

As you can see, plenty of room now :)

Oh and some good news, just won the auction for that Weber intake manifold :banana:

But some bad news, I just discovered I fubared the thread on the tie-rods when I removed them from the front hubs, i'll have to figure out how to fix it :-\