Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

• 2 weeks later...
I need longer front studs soon.

Anyone got any leads?

I have no idea if this would actually work, but if the FF-1 studs are similar to EA82 wheel studs, we might be in business.

I think original credit for this goes to WJM, but anyway, Nissan and Fuji have been pretty close bedfellows in the past. Nissan has Nismo, which makes nifty little doo-dads like extended wheel studs for running high offset wheels and wheel spacers.

I think WJM was able to use these Nismo studs in his RX, but really, I'm trying to remember this from an internet tidbit almost a decade old. :lol:

What do the studs look like? Pics?

The stud removed or on the hub? I don't have them with me, they are at the painter with the rest of the car, so I can't get them off the hub (which is another concern I have)

I have no idea if this would actually work, but if the FF-1 studs are similar to EA82 wheel studs, we might be in business.

I think original credit for this goes to WJM, but anyway, Nissan and Fuji have been pretty close bedfellows in the past. Nissan has Nismo, which makes nifty little doo-dads like extended wheel studs for running high offset wheels and wheel spacers.

I think WJM was able to use these Nismo studs in his RX, but really, I'm trying to remember this from an internet tidbit almost a decade old.

I read something about Nissan studs. I need to check the part numbers of the studs to see if they are simular to the other part numbers.

Are these the studs?

Nismo_ExtendedStuds_1.jpg

They appear to be rather inexpensive too. I'll have to ring up the sister dealership (Nissan) and see if they are a dealer-offered part I can get an employee discount on :)

That is if they work or not...

Here is a photo of the original hub:

ff1day3frontsuspension4.jpg

Alright, the part numbers for the NISMO studs are:

40222-RS025 60mm

40222-RS035 50mm

I've got the Subaru stud on order, so what I'm going to do is take that to Nissan and figure out which stud its like and if its like the studs that come in "extended length" then I'll order them and be set :)

Courtesy Nissan tends to do a large portion of the California Hi-Po Nissan stuff and have pretty reasonable prices from what I've heard.

Glad I could point you in what seems like the right direction and on a side note, isn't it neat how the lug nuts and wheel studs are basically identical from the 1960s to today?!?!?! Soooo cool to me at least.

hubboltcomparo1.jpg

OK, here is a photo of the bolt as requested.

Its the same tap-in diameter as the current hub bolts, and the same thread.

However, it doesn't have a lip, is quite a bit shorter, and the tap-in area is shorter too which has me concerned.

I just ordered an 80's model bolt to see if its different.

I ordered a 699900981 hub bolt kit from the 80's models to see what that stud looked like.

Indeed, the 80's studs, even brats, are the SAME as my FF-1 hub bolt.

Now I need to know exactly what the 80's guys are using for extended length bolts, and if the Impreza/Legacy bolts will work or if I should use something else.

Visited the car today:

kensvisit3.jpg

kensvisit2.jpg

kensvisit1.jpg

All of the Lead was removed from the roof connections and welded. Lead leaches through body filler and ruins the paint, so it had to go. The roof is going to be done early next week, the rest of the car will be worked on next week. The week after, probably some priming.

Saw this while I was there too:

stretchedcobra.jpg

Oh, and this mustang gives you an idea of the quality of paint job they do, :

paintedmustang.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Small, little update... The exterior is primered, next up is the interior and painting and then color sanding/buffing :D

It looks ABSOLUTELY fantastic so far, especially how well the hood has been fixed (doesn't flex anymore, and ALL the dents are gone!) Everything is amazingly silky smooth, its going to look like a new car when its done!

primed1.jpg

primered3.jpg

primered4.jpg

primered5.jpg

primered6.jpg

primered7.jpg

primered8.jpg

primered9.jpg

primered10.jpg

primered2.jpg