Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

So you said you're unemployed... Does this mean you got more time to get this car finished before WCSS13?

I have more time to work on it yes, but most of the things I need right now cost money... (door moldings, engine work, etc.)

I'm trying to do as much of the stuff that doesn't cost money as I can.

I have more time to work on it yes, but most of the things I need right now cost money... (door moldings, engine work, etc.)

I'm trying to do as much of the stuff that doesn't cost money as I can.

You should take up a collection! I am so entertained watching this thread, I would gladly donate a few bucks! If everyone here chipped in a few bucks, you would be on your way in no time!

can you take the 1400 bell housing and have the mounting surfaced planed down to the same level as the shallower rib that looks like it matches the 1100 housing pattern?

:) or just take a belt sander to it carefully, and use some good RTV when installing it :)

I'm not to that point yet.

Although I'd take donations in the form of manual labor any time :lol:

If i lived close to you id gladely help you with what i could. i really enjoy seeing this. ive been watching from near the beggining and love seeing all the progress.

I can't tell if the transmission I built has reverse gear working. Is there any way of testing it when the transmission is off the car, or checking to make sure its working?

Shift it into what you think is reverse and spin the input shaft. Once the diff turns you'll know where reverse is.

I figured it out. I had the rear housing assembled slightly incorrectly. A spring was in the wrong spot for the little pop-up thing that controls pressure to reverse gear, and a ball bearing in a spot that it shouldn't have been in. This caused the shifter to be not able to reach reverse at all.

However, upon fixing that, I discovered it wasn't going 100% into reverse. But I did manage to get it going in reverse with some effort, I think with a proper oil level and the transmission actually in the car, it will get into reverse just fine now.

Good news!

Just ordered a custom clutch plate :)

I'm working on assembling the front brakes now along with misc bits attached to the transmission. Next up after finishing that, having the head work done and swapping the camshaft and then assembling the drivetrain and installing it :)

The clutch I'm getting is going to have to be a solid-disc clutch (IE not sprung), anyone thing thats going to be a huge issue?

it's probably going to chatter and shudder a bit when you're engaging and disengaging. It's an old car. I doubt anybody will notice.

This is what I'm talking about with the brake springs. I have a "new" one installed from a late model car on one side, and the original one on the other. The "new" one fits pretty well minus the fact its kind of close to the shoe. The spring pin is the same width so the plates fit just fine over it:

brakespringissue.jpg

Couple photo's of the assembled transmission and the axles that are also assembled:

reassembled1.jpg

reassembled3.jpg

The axles I put later 70's model boots on the hub side, and they are a little short and don't seem to rotate as well as the originals. I saved the originals in case these don't work...

Also, the red hoses are there cause the e-brake lines had some black crummy hoses that disintegrated, they were basically just there for protecting the lines so I used some red silicone hoses instead :)

I know of two sets one is still fitted to the car and the second is in the boot of a spare car, but trying to get a set is the holy grail. But if there was a bit of money a system can be made, even better than factory

Cheers Thierry

Where did they mount? Would love to see them. Did they also make any for the otherwise front drum 1970's cars? Here that means up to the Stage I 1400's - say around 1974 or so - after the ff-1 series.

I've got to guess that those early factory or semi-factory rally teams had them.

This is the best photo I have that shows how the Sports model front discs mounted on the FF-1's:

img_852496_14149296_3.jpg

I'm not concerned now about the brakes, other than the brake lines (which I probably need help with) I just want to get the car running this summer.

As Kosta's photo shows the brakes are unique to the ff1 and only fitted to the sports model and i think there was a 4 door luxury sports that came out. As i said in the earlier post about making a set, 1st a alloy hat with a internal spline to fit on the shaft out of the gearbox, a 11-12inch disc vented to fit on the hat, then a backing plate that uses the 4 bolts on the gearbox that has a pair of 4 spot calipers

Food for though

Cheers Thierry