Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

The headers are just the original ones I cut in half (because for some reason the 1100 heads are narrower than the 1300's) so I could put something on the car in case I want to start it before I have an exhaust built.

Basically they are temporary so don't worry bout it :grin:

it doesn't the ea81.... it just fits into the pilot bearing in the flywheel... it should at least fit in somehow to keep the clutch plate centerd on the flywheel... nobody likes a wobbly clutch disk :)

(I can't see pics at work, so not sure if I'm helping...)

it doesn't the ea81.... it just fits into the pilot bearing in the flywheel... it should at least fit in somehow to keep the clutch plate centerd on the flywheel... nobody likes a wobbly clutch disk :)

(I can't see pics at work, so not sure if I'm helping...)

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying the EA81 doesn't fit in as an example, or that it should fit in because it keeps the clutch disc from wobbling?

right. now I see the pic. it looks like it just about touches the pilot bearing, but it needs to insert into that bearing. the further the better. that's what'll keep the main shaft from wobbling when the clutch engages/disengages, etc...

Definitely needs a shave like Caboob says... might be able to take off both sides? but you'll need to be wary of the starter fitment too, and may need to space it out so it engages the flywheel properly....

what I meant about it doesn't on the ea81, I meant that it inserts into the pilot bearing, not the crank... looks like your setup is the same...

Wait a second, I don't think the pilot bearing will work... Look how the flywheel mounting location is "recessed" compared to the end of the crank.

bellhousingcompare2.jpg

Just took these photos testing out the other bellhousing...

bellhousingcompare.jpg

bellhousingproblem.jpg

If that pilot bearing idea doesn't work, I have to have a different flywheel (EA62) and modify the bellhousing to match...

you need to mount the flywheel, with the pilot bearing mounted in it, flush with the inside surface of the flywheel...

flywheeltest.jpg

Thats the flywheel installed. The crank goes about 1/2 way into the flywheel.

Do you think I could still put a pilot bearing on there?

The clutch disc isn't even close to it, so there is like a half inch of room or more between the disc and the flywheel bolts.

Son of a ***************!

Just went looking through one of my part manuals on a whim...

806212030 Ball Bearing 12x32.5x10 :banana:

And amazingly, I had a left over EA71 flywheel with that exact bearing on it... Fits perfect!!! It is indeed .5mm larger!

Now I just need to find a new one...

Ya, its been pretty depressing :-\

If I would have sent RenaissanceMan the 1100 bellhousing instead of the 1400 bellhousing when I had him modify it, and if I would have gotten the 1300 flywheel off the wrecked FF-1 that I forget who got a bunch of parts for me from, then I would have been OK through all of this...

No luck so far on finding a "new" EA71 fat-case pilot bearing though, they appear to be discontinued via Napa and the aftermarket stuff. Going to have to try the dealer tomorrow...