Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Your in Roseville, eh? Well, I got a couple of transmissions I need to pick up in Turlock and Roseville, and it looks like that trip just got bumped up to next month due to my transmission acting up. Hmmmm... I might just have to stop by for a day and help you out with this, seriously. I can't roll though Roseville without helping you, I just wouldn't feel right at all.

So I will throw this offer out onto the table. If you still need some help with wiring come mid September, I will extend my trip another day and help you out with the wiring. Granted I have never done anything like this before, but I have wired in paddle shifters into my car along with remote start and a couple "big" stereo installs as well. So I am very familiar with wiring and what not, so it shouldn't be so bad... All I ask for is a place to crash (couch) and some food/beer :grin:

What exactly do you need done? If we could have diagrams and all that ready to go, that would make it alot easier as well.

LMK if you are going to be around mid September, and lets see if we could get this killer car wired up!

Edited by eulogious

Does anyone know what this is?

The black dot on the front is supposed to be where a bulb shows light through, and there is a switch underneath. It has 3 wires going to it, but I can't find it on any of the factory diagrams or parts/service manuals.

whatisthis1.jpg

OK, I traced back the wires for that thing...

1 wire goes straight to the brake proportioner (passanger footwell)

The other wire goes to a spot where it splices into 3 other wires:

1 goes to the gold fuse/turn signal switch thing

1 goes to the dome light wiring

1 goes to the old radio/cigarette lighter area

Any ideas what it does???

Why would a brake warning light have a switch?

Well that little brake proportioning valve is also a safety switch. If a front or rear line blows out it blocks of that circuit so you still have brakes, and it trips that switch and lights up the warning light on the dash to let you know there is a problem.

Kosta. where the splices are , do they look factory or aftermarket. looks like a security device if aftermarket, if factory then it has got me stuffed, didnt have anything like that on my cars

Cheers Thierry

The splice looks factory, but I think someone did have a go at the wiring in this car at some point.

Well that little brake proportioning valve is also a safety switch. If a front or rear line blows out it blocks of that circuit so you still have brakes, and it trips that switch and lights up the warning light on the dash to let you know there is a problem.

Well that makes sense for the light, but I still can't figure out the switch.

I think the big question I have is whether or not to keep it...

The splice looks factory, but I think someone did have a go at the wiring in this car at some point.

Well that makes sense for the light, but I still can't figure out the switch.

I think the big question I have is whether or not to keep it...

Ohhhh. Ok. I missed the part about the switch. Now that is really weird. I can't imagine that switch is factory. It would be a pretty odd place to put it. I'm gonna say you probly dont need it. But tell me this, is there a light in the dash for when the e-brake is on?

Ohhhh. Ok. I missed the part about the switch. Now that is really weird. I can't imagine that switch is factory. It would be a pretty odd place to put it. I'm gonna say you probly dont need it. But tell me this, is there a light in the dash for when the e-brake is on?

There is no wiring going to the E-brake in my car. Some cars it shows having it, but mine didn't.

Hold on a sec! Does your rear glass have a defogger grid on in?

I think that might be a rare factory option switch. It looks similar to the wireing for 72,73 rear defogger.

No, don't have a rear defogger either.

OK, your comment about accessories got me looking...

I went through my vast array of images and found out something about that switch. It appears to be ONLY on the "Deluxe" model in 1970. I have a Deluxe model car.

However, I still can't figure out what it is!

Here is a photo of it:

Deluxeoptions.jpg

BTW, I was looking through the diagrams and realized the Fuse box has one wire that goes in and goes to 3 other locations INSIDE the fuse box.

Is there a way to replicate this with my new fuse box?

the early GL's had a red light for " Please Fasten Seatbelts". maybe an early version of that?

No, the seatbelts don't have any sort of wiring either.

Got a larger copy of that image? I can pass it along to a friend and hopefully find out what that caption says.

Sadly, thats the largest size of that image that I have. I got it from that japanese brochure website.

I'm currently trying to look at this on my phone so the pics aren't the clearest for me.

Maybe a low switch for the brake fluid? I know on the gen 1 stage 2 cars, there's a float in the master cylinder that when the level gets low enough, it pops a light on in the cluster, usually the "BRAKE" light...

My 68 vw had a light on the dash that was wired to the brake balance valve, and in the owners manual it said to push on the face of the light to momentarily turn it on and test the bulb.

Your switch may be for the same reason? If it provides an independent ground to the bulb, all it's there for is to test the function of the bulb, not reset anything.

BTW, I was looking through the diagrams and realized the Fuse box has one wire that goes in and goes to 3 other locations INSIDE the fuse box.

Is there a way to replicate this with my new fuse box?

No, the seatbelts don't have any sort of wiring either.

Sadly, thats the largest size of that image that I have. I got it from that japanese brochure website.

the seatbelt light was not tied to the actual seatbelts. it was just on with the ignition in the run position before the car was started. once running, it went off...

My 68 vw had a light on the dash that was wired to the brake balance valve, and in the owners manual it said to push on the face of the light to momentarily turn it on and test the bulb.

Your switch may be for the same reason? If it provides an independent ground to the bulb, all it's there for is to test the function of the bulb, not reset anything.

That sounds like it might be it. If thats the case, I think I might want to keep it.