Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Weird. Sounding like a crack in the cylinder head. You should see about borrowing one of those radiator pressure testers and see if you can pinpoint where the leak is. If it does not fill with liquid with the valves closed, it pretty much leaves the area above the valve as the source, not the head gasket. Does it look like someone tried to port the head? Maybe someone went too far and went into a water jacket.

Mark

I a puting it down to a crack in the head around the exhaust jacket/port. I cant think of any conection between the water and the exhaust like the inlet. so from what you are saying if that cylinder is at top dead centre both valves are closed and water is running out of the exhaust, and if the exhaust is open it floods the cylinder.does the water pour out or just drip from the exhaust

Cheers Thierry

Kosta, i see a couple of threaded fitting above the exhaust ports, would it be possible there is a weep into the water jacket because of them, try blanking the exhaust flange and pressure test that fitting and see if it leeks into the water jacket

Cheers Thierry

Hi Kostamojen. Some years ago I fitted EA63 GSR Heads to an EA71 crankcase. The water galleries didn't line up and the heads had to be modified to suit the 1600 head gaskets. Everything looked and worked fine for years, but recently I decided to rebuild the engine and when I looked at the old head gasket I was amazed to see that at one place there was only about 1.5mm on the headgasket sealing ring between the water gallery and the cylinder (it's a miracle it held but somehow it did). Long story I know, but are you sure that one of the water galleries in the head isn't too close to the cylinder as can easily happen when heads from one model are fitted to the crankcase of another model. I have since rebuilt the engine but had the offending galleries welded and reshaped away from the cylinders.

Just a thought. Good luck, I have followed this thread from very early on and your doing an amazing job.

Edited by howpow

Well, its not the intake manifold gasket...

I took off the manifold and filled the empty coolant channels on the left head with water and sure enough it leaks down into the cylinder.

The worst part is I don't think I can get the head off without removing the entire drivetrain...

howpow: The EA63 and EA64 channels matched up perfectly. I checked that well in advance.

I think I figured out my mistake though, in the manuals it says to "brush the headgasket with threebond", I didn't do that. Also, there weren't any alignment thingies for the heads other than the bracket. I noticed on the EA71 heads that there was some kind of bushing around one of the head bolts that kept everything lined up better, neither the heads or block in my case had that.

Its worse than expected. I drained the coolant from the motor, but after unbolting the head (I couldn't remove it, just slid it) the crankcase did indeed have coolant in it so I had to drain the oil too...

I can't find anything wrong with the headgasket. I even re-bolted it back up and tested it again, and the same problem. I can't see any visual spot where its coming from. I'm concerned now it might becoming from behind the piston if thats even possible...

In an case, this is worse case scenario, I have to remove the motor completely :-\

I just figured out the problem, its far far worse than I could have imagined...

cylinderhole.jpg

:mad:

Right now I'm just totally furious. I should have noticed this before, but I think this motor was scraped at some point and the dealer drilled holes in it to scrap it.

The good news is that I DIDN'T INSTALL ANYTHING WRONG!

But now, I don't have the money to fix this, if it even can be fixed...

Hang in there. Keep that body going and we'll get you hooked up cheap for a new block , I'm sure.

What's your desire again? 1400 2 port? 1600? I've got an EA71 block an ultra light flier guy traded me that was all rebuilt , he said , and its not too hard for me to dig out when I can finally get to storage.

There's other folks with 1400 and 1600 engine's etc.....

Hang in there. Keep that body going and we'll get you hooked up cheap for a new block , I'm sure.

What's your desire again? 1400 2 port? 1600? I've got an EA71 block an ultra light flier guy traded me that was all rebuilt , he said , and its not too hard for me to dig out when I can finally get to storage.

There's other folks with 1400 and 1600 engine's etc.....

Honestly? I just need another dry-sleeve 1400, or even just the passanger side case to fix the problem. All the internals are good (I hope, I don't know what the coolant did to them) so the case is the obvious issue.

I Emailed danny to see if he has anything...

But now, I don't have the money to fix this, if it even can be fixed...

I had a crazy idea come up in my head (no pun intended) of tapping that hole with some threads and running a threaded rod in there with some red loctite.

I realize that thing has to deal with combustion temperatures and pressures. But if you figure out the logistics, might be the best ghetto fix ever! :grin:

it could maybe be plugged, but it looks like it overlaps the stroke of the piston....which means if it's not perfectly smooth, it'll chew up the rings.

ideally, it would be welded shut, and then bored smooth......

Sorry Kosta.....that sucks. Wish I had something helpful....