Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

After all the shuffling around these past years I think Jesse has my dry sleeve 1400.

Jesse - refresh my memory please.

ctsuba might have one left. wagonsonly - outside chance too.

Non of those 1400 I got from you were dry sleeve. And non of them were good either. Thats why I ended up putting the 1600 in my car.

What did the dry sleeve 1400s come in?

I got one in the coupe, but I have no idea of it's condition or if it's wet or dry.

2 port is non sleeved , 4 port is the one we don't want. They put the 2 port into the last Gen I Stage I 4WD wagons and as I know it they also put them in 1976 automatics .

Like I said , been a while since I went through that stuff. Maybe Danny took it and it ended up there with you.

Holy Cow!

cylinderhole.jpg

...I think this motor was scraped at some point and the dealer drilled holes in it to scrap it...

Why they do Drilled those Holes? ... I Don't understand the Point...

That situation Sucks... I Hope that you'll find a Good Replacement but also I Believe that it could be Fixed if you send it to a Shop for an Aluminium Filling Welding / Resurfacing.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

Why they do Drilled those Holes? ... I Don't understand the Point...

If he is right about the block being scrapped... then they drilled the holes because the engine block was not supposed to used again. It's only supposed to used for metal or as a door opener or paperweight, etc. The reason for scrapping could be for legal reasons.

I think you could get the matching cylinders re-sleeved with a steel liner and then run under-sized pistons. The side with the hole could have molten aluminum poured into where the back of the new sleeve sits. Then the rest of the block could be tapped and then threaded with a bolt. :) It's a low-power engine so the solution does not have to be crazy with the relatively low cylinder pressures...

Yes, holes drilled to insure the block was not serviceable because of tax write off (IRS). Unfortunately witnessed such destructive activities while working at a Suburu distributor back in '76. The warehouse guys were known to "dumpster dive" hoping to save parts. A lot of old 360 parts were lost when tax write-offs were taken on unsold parts inventory.

If he is right about the block being scrapped... then they drilled the holes because the engine block was not supposed to used again. It's only supposed to used for metal or as a door opener or paperweight, etc. The reason for scrapping could be for legal reasons.

I think you could get the matching cylinders re-sleeved with a steel liner and then run under-sized pistons. The side with the hole could have molten aluminum poured into where the back of the new sleeve sits. Then the rest of the block could be tapped and then threaded with a bolt. :) It's a low-power engine so the solution does not have to be crazy with the relatively low cylinder pressures...

• 4 weeks later...

That Looks like a Local FF1 Wagon...

HonduranFF1.gif

No Such Air-Cooled engine, it must have a Tiny Radiator:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
add Links