Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

First purchase to arrive at my door is...... Seats!  

I have found some retro (early 80's) seats in like new condition.

Fabric + leather, adjustable and the correct color combination :)

Still mocking up the mounts and sliders to install 

A tick wide but they will work!

subaru-ff1-project-seat2.jpg

subaru-ff1-project-seat1.jpg

Hi Jamie,

this is Marnix from B4 Engine Technology in The Netherlands :)

Congrats on your new ride :)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!! :) Hi!!! 

and thank you. it is such a lovely little Subie. I adore her very much. Steve did such a wonderful job building this car up!

Gidday Subie Gal,

Good to see that this car has gone to a good home, cant wait to see it finished ! ... :)

Query - What are you going to do with the old motor ? - As I recall it had some unfortunate issues with it ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Gidday Subie Gal,

Good to see that this car has gone to a good home, cant wait to see it finished ! ... :)

Query - What are you going to do with the old motor ? - As I recall it had some unfortunate issues with it ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Assuming the nos block is damage free (it's yet to arrive)

The old block will come out and go off for a re-sleeve  - if that is possible.

I'll have to have our machinist inspect it.

Would be nice to have it repaired and have a spare sitting around  - that is the plan anyway!

Hi Subie Gal,   You have a really great car to finish.  Long ago, my 72 wagon would  scream to 105 mph on a 1300cc engine with minor tweaks! Indestructible little engine!  I have some FF-1 NOS parts, and used odds and ends, too. I'm looking for a parts book so I can be sure of the applications for my part #,s.   Happy Motoring!

I also have FSM for the FF-1 should you be interested :)

thanks! between my collection of Subaru manuals and memorbilia & Steve's collection of manuals I think I now have every FF-1 manual / handbook possible :D

I've wanted one of these cars forever and started collecting FF stuff years and years ago. I even have an original drivers handbook for this car! (and my 360 too! )

I'm a Subaru hoarder, proudly admit it.

I can imagine; I have almost every possible JDM sales catalogue for each model year of the 1979-1984 Leone, all EUDM and USDM FSMs, parts books and even micro fiches. Unfortunately I don't have a projector and digitising them into PDFs is quite expensive.

Been sick for over a week but felt good enough to start working on that "grocery list" I have for this project.

Door cards/panels are out, original door skins are off to be restored and repaired - hopefully by the end of this week.

The OEM seat rails have been cleaned up - next is to sort out how to cleanly mount the new seats.

May seek a pro on this one as I just don't have the right tools to do this they way I would like to see it done.

subaru-ff1-oem-seat-rails-por15.jpg

The Grant GT steering wheel is out, the OEM steering wheel back in after a little restoration ;)

Added a vintage steering wheel wrap, soaked the wheel in aloe leather conditioner for days.

subaru-ff1-oem-steering-wheel-fix.jpg

Had some issues wiring up the horns, they were wired correctly but it took quite a bit of digging (by my hubby... i cannot stand wiring. makes my brain bleed) to work out that the steering column was no longer grounded. 

Will fix that and hopefully tonight will have the horns firing up! :)

And finally - - 

Today the NOS crankcase is due to arrive - head gasket set will be here 1-2 additional days.

Now the fun REALLY begins -Jamie
  • Like 1

What did you do with the grant steering wheel and hub?

Looks like your going full stock restoration.. would you happen to want to go with amber side markers in the front? I would swap my ambers for your clears.. if you are up for it

Edited by EWSuby

• 2 weeks later...
Well? The EA63 w/the infamous hole in it is finally out of the car again.

Sadly -  the NOS crankcase I purchased - seller had incorrect information and of COURSE it's not right for the car.

Back to the drawing board.

Got to find a solution.

Gutted as this probably means we won't tow her to WCSS this year. It's just too much work to put the engine back in... only to take it out again.

I'm on the hunt for an EA63 dry sleeve setup if anyone has any leads!

ea63-subaru-engine-ff-1-subiegal.jpg