Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

I realise it would not be easy or cheap... But I wish the rear wheel arches could be put back to OEM... You seriously have to lower the rear!!

The stock fenders severely restrict what size tires/wheels you can fit on the car with the wagon-style suspension on this '70 model.  Plus the stock fenders were in bad shape and fugly :P  All the other FF-1s can keep their stockers.

So much that I do not believe I can make OEM - the arches were completely modified. 

Heck, I don't even have anywhere to mount up seat belts as the mounting holes were cut and filled  :D  :P

Sorry bout that...  The holes disapeared with the rest of the bodywork that had to be redone for side sills.  Never planned on using the stock belts :(

Edited by Kostamojen

Sorry bout that...  The holes disapeared with the rest of the bodywork that had to be redone for side sills.  Never planned on using the stock belts :(

Not a problem... we drilled (gasp!!!! ahhhh!!) new holes and she has belts again. (new belts too! did not re-use the old belts)

I finally got the courage to just do eeet! 

What type of stuff do you have on the board (on the tripod)?  I love when car owners/builders do that!  It's fun to see before and afters pictures!

I'll snap a photo of it for you! :)

I scanned in some of the old brochures and the spec sheet, blew them up along with a few photos of the car and made a poster out of it.

Oh!  And check out her new floor mats.

Fit surprisingly well being that they are from a BRZ!!  :P

10295913_10152371725524934_6491773165530523908_o.jpg

Here is a shot of the center caps installed as well.... they look okay? right?  :unsure:

10295913_10152371725529934_7143081965723915785_o.jpg

• Like 1

I still need to get a more detailed photo of the "poster" I made but..... here it is.

10553592_10152377436864934_1401970254521894886_n.jpg

I tossed in the photo from one of the brochures of the open trunk with red luggage as I'm trying to match it 100%

I'm missing a red hatbox  :P  - I will find one sooner or later!  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

that's PERFECT except that it will likely go for over $300 and then I'd have to pay commission + shipping in Japan and shipping again from Japan to the US

Probably close to $400-500 when it's all done.

I just can't swing that right this second. arrrggghh!!   :wacko:

Hello to Steve, Subie-Gal, and all the others following and contributing to this wonderful thread!   I'm late to this party, but I got here soon as I could.  The very first car I owned, was a Subaru FF-1 2-door sedan, just like this one.  I bought him for a hundred bucks, wrecked and junked, from a neighbor down the street.  I pushed him home, and spent the summer of '78 restoring to a functional roadworthy condition (fixing the rust same as Fujiko had, fix the brakes, and replace the exhaust).  I drove him 400 miles a week to college in S. Texas, then in Tucson for 3 more years after that.  Mine was never restored to the absolute perfection level of Fujiko, but to me he was my Sedan DeVille.  I loved that car, named him Pokuntsu-San.  He was the first of a long series of Subies for me.

To Steve:  The Subaru world will never forget your dedication and commitment that you had for this car.  Your engineering and innovations defy words to describe them -- the results speak for themselves.  I have trouble trying to decide which is more impressive -- your work on this car, or how beautifully you have documented it for all the rest of us to share.  Yes, this Feast Of Life sometimes serves us a turd sandwich, and we just have to roll with it.  I'm delighted you are still with us on this thread, to see the fruits of your labor.

To Subie Gal:  There may very well be no one else in this country who could have taken over on this car as you have done (and are doing).  Financially, this undertaking would be completely illogical.  But as we all know, this goes beyond logic -- it's truly a labor of love.  Fujiko (a wonderfully Shogun-ish name there!), shines now in your obvious love for Subarus. Thank you, for continuing this project.  And for continuing to document all that you're doing here, for the rest of us to share.  Fujiko's heart beats on with all of us.

I wish that the Internet had been available back when I had my FF-1.  The parts situation would have been so much more workable in that case.  As it was, back in that day you'd get to be on a first-name basis with all the local junkyards.  And the local dealerships would refuse to take my money any more, because they couldn't in good conscience say if or when they would ever be able to get the parts I needed (such as brake cylinders, brake drums, shocks, etc).   The power of the Internet has really changed all that.

I'm having to restrain myself here, because I could write on and on and bore all of you with my own Subaru experiences.  But for now let me leave you with some quick questions about Fujiko:

1)  Did you have any trouble with the brake fluid?  The FF-1 as I recall, used natural rubber seals in the brake system, and required a special brake fluid from Subaru.  If you put standard DOT-3 fluid in there, it would disolve those seals, and the brakes would leak out fluid and be ruined (I experienced that a lot).

2)  People are 'amazed' by those inboard front brakes.  Subaru used that design to reduce the unsprung mass, and simplify the design of the suspension.  But in practice (especially in hot areas like S. Texas and Tucson) I found this design places the brakes in the hot air flow from the radiator, and reduces their cooling and makes them susceptible to overheating.  Maybe in rural Japanese villages this wouldn't have been a problem.  I'm wondering if you've driven Fujiko hard yet in hot temperatures and had that problem?

3)  People also are amazed by that dual radiator design on the FF-1's.  The sub-radiator was supposed to be the heater core.  In theory this worked, but in practice I found that at any speeds over about 30 MPH, it wasn't very effective.  South Texas winters are not especially 'brutal', but the high humidity makes even 45 degrees feel quite cold.  I was probably the only driver there who wore a snowmobile suit while commuting in the winter <G>.

4) Are you planning to eventually restore the center console 'hump' there over the shifter linkage?  Even of not for appearances, that console will help reduce interior noise while driving (assuming that's an issue for you).  And yes, do keep us updated on progress with the bumpers.  That little bit of chrome, you see, will make a lot of difference in Fujiko's 'smile'.

Well, I did mention that I have to restrain myself, so pardon me as this post is already growing long.  I have sat here literally all day, reading this thread, mesmerized by this wonderful story.  Live Long, Fujiko-San.  It's obvious that you are in loving hands.

To Subie Gal:  There may very well be no one else in this country who could have taken over on this car as you have done (and are doing).  Financially, this undertaking would be completely illogical.  But as we all know, this goes beyond logic -- it's truly a labor of love.  Fujiko (a wonderfully Shogun-ish name there!), shines now in your obvious love for Subarus. Thank you, for continuing this project.  And for continuing to document all that you're doing here, for the rest of us to share.  Fujiko's heart beats on with all of us.

It is my pleasure - more than any of you will probably ever understand. 

1)  Did you have any trouble with the brake fluid?  The FF-1 as I recall, used natural rubber seals in the brake system, and required a special brake fluid from Subaru.  If you put standard DOT-3 fluid in there, it would disolve those seals, and the brakes would leak out fluid and be ruined (I experienced that a lot).

Haven't had any issues to date and honestly unsure what fluid Steve had in the car initially, I've not swapped the fluids just yet - but it is interesting to hear that we should avoid the DOT-3!! NOTED!!

2)  People are 'amazed' by those inboard front brakes.  Subaru used that design to reduce the unsprung mass, and simplify the design of the suspension.  But in practice (especially in hot areas like S. Texas and Tucson) I found this design places the brakes in the hot air flow from the radiator, and reduces their cooling and makes them susceptible to overheating.  Maybe in rural Japanese villages this wouldn't have been a problem.  I'm wondering if you've driven Fujiko hard yet in hot temperatures and had that problem?

Indeed people LOVE the front brakes - especially when they realize that they are inboard DRUM brakes. I think that temperature should not be a problem. It doesn't really get hot here in Seattle so I do not foresee heat being an issue at any time - we have a very mild climate here.

3)  People also are amazed by that dual radiator design on the FF-1's.  The sub-radiator was supposed to be the heater core.  In theory this worked, but in practice I found that at any speeds over about 30 MPH, it wasn't very effective.  South Texas winters are not especially 'brutal', but the high humidity makes even 45 degrees feel quite cold.  I was probably the only driver there who wore a snowmobile suit while commuting in the winter

Unfortunately the dual radiator (which i think is the coolest thing ever!!) was removed from the car before I obtained ownership. I am currently looking for a replacement so if you run into one - anywhere - please let me know!  :D

4) Are you planning to eventually restore the center console 'hump' there over the shifter linkage?  Even of not for appearances, that console will help reduce interior noise while driving (assuming that's an issue for you).  And yes, do keep us updated on progress with the bumpers.  That little bit of chrome, you see, will make a lot of difference in Fujiko's 'smile'.

I have purchased a 1300G center console hump from the Japan auctions. Need to get it shipped over - it's far too loud in the car without it - and we were docked points at the last car show for "no carpet"  ;)  :P  Can't install carpet without the center console pieces in place - - I am pondering what to do for bumpers still but I am sure I will find a good and reasonable solution! It may take a bit of time but I will get that worked out 

Live Long, Fujiko-San.  It's obvious that you are in loving hands.

Thank YOU for taking interest, sharing your story and expertise. So nice that she has so many that love her so   :wub:

Jamie

Interesting to hear about the brake fluid.

I know that the Shimano hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike require mineral oil to be used as brake fluid rather than normal DOT fluid, probably for the same reason of leaking seals.

I've also been following the project for the last couple of years, and really love it - the FF-1 has to be one of my favourite cars, being the first Subaru with the flat-4 driveline.

Great work and keep it up!

Subiegal:

I was looking for my old FF-1 owner's manual, which specified about that special brake fluid.  HOWEVER, in retrospect I think this isn't going to be an issue for you and Fujiko.  From reading the many year's worth of threads about this resto project, I know you and / or Steve rebuilt the brake cylinders.  Unless the seals that were installed came from some very old and dusty box from the dark back corner of some dealer's parts room, the new seals are probably the more modern synthetic rubber parts, which will work fine with DOT-3 fluid.  The natural rubber OEM seals would dissolve pretty quickly in DOT-3 fluid.  So if you've been driving Fujiko around and the brakes aren't leaking yet, chances are they're not going to.  But do keep an eye out for leaks of course, just in case.

The inboard front brakes on the FF-1 made the system prone to overheating.  Yes, you are blessed with a mild climate up there in Seattle, but down in S. Texas, and again in Tucson AZ, there were a couple of times when the brake system gave me grief due to the heat.   Maybe it was something to do with that special brake fluid, or maybe it had some moisture in it, which tried to expand.  I was driving along, and the car started slowing down, and slowing down more... struggling like it was going uphill.  It ground to a stop off the roadway, and I noticed that the brake pedal was locked up hard as a rock, no downward travel at all.  About an hour later, it cooled off and all was good.  In Tucson, I got into the habit of carrying a little 8mm box wrench.  Whenever the lockup happened, I'd just crawl under the front and crack open the brake bleeder valve a bit.  Some fluid would spurt out, the brakes would relax, and all was good again.  I'm guessing it might have helped to replace all the brake fluid.

There must be something about the FF-1 brakes, because all the FF-1 resto projects seem to start out with a car that has some kind of front-end damage <g>.  That and the rust along the rocker panels.  I know Steve spent a pile of money on a professional body restoration for Fujiko.  Me being the poor college kid at the time, my process was much lower budget.  I cut up an old galvanized slide from a swing set, and used it as patch material for the rocker panels, and for the trunk floor which had a stunning resemblence to Swiss cheese :).

You've restored Fujiko to a show car condition.  I only restored my Pokuntsu-San to be a daily driver.  I put steel belted radials (still a fairly new thing at the time) on it, and a Heathkit Capacitive Discharge ignition.  Dual pipes with glass packs, and that little car would roar along getting me an honest 40mpg.  Wasn't fast, wasn't pretty, but I loved that car.  It was the first of 3 Subies for me. 

Ah, these memories. There's many of us out here reading your thread, thanking you for these FF-1 memories.

James

Major props to your build.   

Im about to totally redo the exhaust on my Gen1 Brat and I like the sound yours is making.   I read through your thread and I didn't see specs on the diameter of tube they used or the type of magnflow muffler. 

Haven't had any issues to date and honestly unsure what fluid Steve had in the car initially, I've not swapped the fluids just yet - but it is interesting to hear that we should avoid the DOT-3!! NOTED!!

Indeed people LOVE the front brakes - especially when they realize that they are inboard DRUM brakes. I think that temperature should not be a problem. It doesn't really get hot here in Seattle so I do not foresee heat being an issue at any time - we have a very mild climate here.

Unfortunately the dual radiator (which i think is the coolest thing ever!!) was removed from the car before I obtained ownership. I am currently looking for a replacement so if you run into one - anywhere - please let me know!  :D

I have purchased a 1300G center console hump from the Japan auctions. Need to get it shipped over - it's far too loud in the car without it - and we were docked points at the last car show for "no carpet"  ;)  :P  Can't install carpet without the center console pieces in place - - I am pondering what to do for bumpers still but I am sure I will find a good and reasonable solution! It may take a bit of time but I will get that worked out 

Thank YOU for taking interest, sharing your story and expertise. So nice that she has so many that love her so   :wub:

Jamie

DO NOT run the dual radiator with the engine in the car!!! 

Its a high compression, solid-deck block with the upgraded intake manifold and carbs, and needs to be run with high octane gas as well.  This engine needs good cooling!!!

I was going to get a custom made aluminum radiator to properly cool the engine, but used the later EA radiator because I didn't have the money at the time.

I know your inclination is to restore everything back to stock, but that could potentially be a disaster with this engine!!!  Those dual radiators could barely cool the original motors, and obviously were never used again after the FF-1. 

As for the brakes, I did use the updated rubber seals plus some lubricant that helps prevent leaks, and the brakes should be as good as new but can run any modern fluid.  My only "concern" with the brakes are the zip ties I used for the remote resevoir instead of clamps, but I installed those 3 years ago and if they aren't leaking now they are obviously OK LOL!

As for the carpet, the carpet was actually underneeth the center console.  So you can install it now then put the console over top of the carpet.  Look into any sound deadening/anti-heat material you might want to install under the carpet before you do so.  Also keep looking into under-body protectant!!!

• 3 weeks later...

DO NOT run the dual radiator with the engine in the car!!! 

Its a high compression, solid-deck block with the upgraded intake manifold and carbs, and needs to be run with high octane gas as well.  This engine needs good cooling!!!

I was going to get a custom made aluminum radiator to properly cool the engine, but used the later EA radiator because I didn't have the money at the time.

I know your inclination is to restore everything back to stock, but that could potentially be a disaster with this engine!!!  Those dual radiators could barely cool the original motors, and obviously were never used again after the FF-1. 

As for the brakes, I did use the updated rubber seals plus some lubricant that helps prevent leaks, and the brakes should be as good as new but can run any modern fluid.  My only "concern" with the brakes are the zip ties I used for the remote resevoir instead of clamps, but I installed those 3 years ago and if they aren't leaking now they are obviously OK LOL!

As for the carpet, the carpet was actually underneeth the center console.  So you can install it now then put the console over top of the carpet.  Look into any sound deadening/anti-heat material you might want to install under the carpet before you do so.  Also keep looking into under-body protectant!!!

thanks for the input!! :)  makes sense on the upgraded engine... but uhhhh!! that radiator was so cool! (pardon the pun!)   ;)

I'll try to find more interior photos and study the parts diagrams to see if I can work  out how the carpet was installed.....

meanwhile on the updates

been busy (damn you summer) and a little quiet. I apologize for that! 

updates coming soon

meanwhile... here she is with her new pal Melvin the SLOW-baru in the background :D

10636614_10152488829334934_8314217700770744132_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ive just spent literally all day reading this thread and am totally speechless. Wow. I was very sad and depressed to see that Kostamojen had to do what he did after all his time put into it, and was overjoyed to see that SubieGal took ownership of this beauty and continuing the project. Amazing.

Edited by Immortalize