Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

I owned an 1100 FF-1 from '77-81, and did all the repairs and maintenance myself.  Mine was completely stock and everything worked perfectly.  i can verify a few things from personal experience...

The brake system was A-OK with DOT-3 brake fluid as was the Star and 360 models before.  The dual radiator system worked great, and that was in Southern Lousiana and Central Arkansas in the Summer.  At speed (above 30 or so), the fan would never have to run even on the hottest days.  On cold days, there were times when it took a long time for the cabin to warm up though.

The stock wheels were narrower (by 1/2 inch) than the later Leone models after '74.  I currently have a '73 wagon that came with those same narrow wheels, but later models were 1/2" wider.  The narrow wheels are very light, and combined with the in-board brake drums, the front torsion bar suspension, and the steering geometry, the FF-1 was the most fun car to drive of all the cars I've ever owned (and I'm not kidding).

There is so little unsprung weight on a stock FF-1 that it literally "floats" over obstacles, and it was almost effortless to steer the car as well.  The turning radius never failed to impress me.  I could turn completely around in spaces that would be challenging for a large motorcycle!

Great looking FF-1 Jamie!  I'll keep my eye open for parts in the event you want to return more things back to stock.  Subaru had nothing to be embarassed about the design of that car!

Edited by leone
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I owned an 1100 FF-1 from '77-81, and did all the repairs and maintenance myself. Mine was completely stock and everything worked perfectly. i can verify a few things from personal experience...

The brake system was A-OK with DOT-3 brake fluid as was the Star and 360 models before. The dual radiator system worked great, and that was in Southern Lousiana and Central Arkansas in the Summer. At speed (above 30 or so), the fan would never have to run even on the hottest days. On cold days, there were times when it took a long time for the cabin to warm up though.

The stock wheels were narrower (by 1/2 inch) than the later Leone models after '74. I currently have a '73 wagon that came with those same narrow wheels, but later models were 1/2" wider. The narrow wheels are very light, and combined with the in-board brake drums, the front torsion bar suspension, and the steering geometry, the FF-1 was the most fun car to drive of all the cars I've ever owned (and I'm not kidding).

There is so little unsprung weight on a stock FF-1 that it literally "floats" over obstacles, and it was almost effortless to steer the car as well. The turning radius never failed to impress me. I could turn completely around in spaces that would be challenging for a large motorcycle!

Great looking FF-1 Jamie! I'll keep my eye open for parts in the event you want to return more things back to stock. Subaru had nothing to be embarassed about the design of that car!

I owned an 1100 FF-1 from '77-81, and did all the repairs and maintenance myself. Mine was completely stock and everything worked perfectly. i can verify a few things from personal experience...

The brake system was A-OK with DOT-3 brake fluid as was the Star and 360 models before. The dual radiator system worked great, and that was in Southern Lousiana and Central Arkansas in the Summer. At speed (above 30 or so), the fan would never have to run even on the hottest days. On cold days, there were times when it took a long time for the cabin to warm up though.

The stock wheels were narrower (by 1/2 inch) than the later Leone models after '74. I currently have a '73 wagon that came with those same narrow wheels, but later models were 1/2" wider. The narrow wheels are very light, and combined with the in-board brake drums, the front torsion bar suspension, and the steering geometry, the FF-1 was the most fun car to drive of all the cars I've ever owned (and I'm not kidding).

There is so little unsprung weight on a stock FF-1 that it literally "floats" over obstacles, and it was almost effortless to steer the car as well. The turning radius never failed to impress me. I could turn completely around in spaces that would be challenging for a large motorcycle!

Great looking FF-1 Jamie! I'll keep my eye open for parts in the event you want to return more things back to stock. Subaru had nothing to be embarassed about the design of that car!

I would love to see photos of your 73 wagon! I had a yellow one

• 4 weeks later...
SOOOOOO...... This happened over the weekend! :banana:

Blown away! Bested the Best at the 2015 Old School Reunion show.

So cool!  Proud of her - happy for Steve + myself (how could you not be?!?)

But mostly happy for little Fuji :)

11402772_10153142482999934_3927484857593

11424441_10153142482994934_2618624655786

11402772_10153142483004934_3621168605935

Edited by Subie Gal
  • Like 3

I had some thoughts on doing a custom bumper for 'Fujiko' :

IMG_4578.jpg

I hope this make sense, as it's a fairly basic fabrication with bit of Tube, Equal Angle & Some Flat Plate. The same design could be done for the rear. The lights are optional, but a few low profile LED 'Spotties' would make a excellent nod to Subaru's rally heritage ... :) 

Do note it's only a quick concept sketch, very roughly done to see if you like it … :wub:

Add : The mounting bracket would in theory line up with chassis rail - through the gap in front valance ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Not many updates as of late and I apologize for that.

Car show season takes up the entire summer and we have simply been booked pretty solid nearly every weekend.

but I do have to share SOME AWESOME NEWS....

Fujiko took home BEST OF SHOW honors at the West Coast Subaru Show #17!

I am very humbled and honored that the judges recognize the rarity of this car and the love put into it.  Simply blown away. 

she. is. amazing.

11891261_10153328835559934_7979121270857584251_n.jpg?oh=da538bfd783b783b70934fb0bfcc42d7&oe=566CB5E6

Photo below with her garage-mate and Best Historic winner (our 1970 Subaru Sambar Truck) 

11896368_10153329889714934_6210127581837773830_o.jpg

More photos to come as soon as the rain stops.

It's been storming since we left the show a few days ago... lol go figure!!! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

SubieGal can update this further, but as of today, the FF-1 is on display at America's Car Museum in Tacoma, Washington!  (also known as LeMay's Automotive Museum)

https://www.americascarmuseum.org/

https://i.imgur.com/fuAQIxr.jpg

The exhibit is called "SHINKA" and is basically a HUGE JDM exhibit with all sorts of Japanese brands being featured.  SubieGal has quite a few other cars there too!

Sadly, I probably won't get to see the exhibit due to family issues :( But this is beyond what I could ever have accomplished with the car and I can die happy now :D

The exhibit opens to the public on 3/16/2024 and will supposedly be around awhile if anyone wants to see it on display!!!

Edited by Kostamojen
  • Like 1