Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I was able to figure out my transmission filter change blues. After going back out with more light and patience, i figured out how to get the filter off my 97 Outback's auto trans. Its not even close to rocket science, but it is an extra step that i havent seen before and tripped me up on first attempt. It turns out the little crossbar can be removed that's pictured, which then allows for you to totally drop the filter. Otherwise, the bar prevents you from taking the filter off. Anybody know what this little bar is for?? Regardless, perhaps this info can help somebody else when they swap out the fluid and filter on a 4EAT. Happy trails. ....Still trying to figure out how to insert a picture into this post. For now, i'd be happy to e-mail it.

I wore rubber gloves and hammered a screwdriver in the filter to turn it. It wasn't too horribly bad. Not anywhere near the nightmare of getting an oil filter off a mazda 626 when it was put on there by a 6000 pound gorilla.

This is not the approved factory method and will certainly void the warranty on the filter you are removing. :D

Hmm.....I must be thinking of the other filter when I replied to your previous post.

If it's the external filter you're talking about, the line is mostly going to the trans radiator in the main radiator.

Email the pic, I'll host it and put the link in the thread so everyone can see.

When are the so called professionals going to learn to hand tighten spin-off filters? The strength in an average wrist is plenty to make a good seal and keep the filter in place. Instead, these boffoons tighten until the tension threatens to crack the rubber gasket. ARGH!

First time I removed the oil filter from my EJ22 I used the screwdriver method. Now that I am the only touching the car, I can remove it by hand, no tools required :D