Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carburetor Interchangeability

Hi Everyone,

I decided to start shopping for a rebuilt carburetor, and I actually came across a new one. However, the new one is specified to be a Hitachi 306-003 for a 1980 Subaru EA81 with Automatic Transmission and my car is a 1979 Subaru EA71 (BRAT), with manual trans and 4WD.

From the picture, it looks like the same carburetor, and I looked at the part number stamped on my carb but apparently is was stamped very lightly because I could only make out the numbers "306", but I cannot sure what the last digits are.

So if I bought the new carb, what do you guys think are my chances for success? Is there a big difference in a carb for a manual trans car and an automatic? For the EA71 and EA81?

All advice and knowledge is very much appreciated.

Crabman

Well i can tell you for sure that it will bolt on and everything will hook up fine. Its just a matter of...do they have different jets for the smaller motor? Auto versus manual shouldnt make a difference. If the jetting is the same then its a direct bolt on but if the jets are different..then hell i would pull the jets out of your old carb and put them in the new one.

Well i can tell you for sure that it will bolt on and everything will hook up fine. Its just a matter of...do they have different jets for the smaller motor? Auto versus manual shouldnt make a difference. If the jetting is the same then its a direct bolt on but if the jets are different..then hell i would pull the jets out of your old carb and put them in the new one.

Thanks that's very useful information. Is there anyway of finding out if the jets are the same? Or do I need to just open it up and take a look?