Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subaru Sambar - UPDATE!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

I've gotta track down the owner of this thing:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 mykingcrab

mykingcrab

KINDNESS IS NOT WEAKNESS

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • S.W. MISSOURI

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

There is an identical looking Sambar in Houston Missouri at a dealer for those mini's. he mostly has Suzuki cary's,and Dihatsu's The identical sambar is the dealers personal,He kept it out of a batch.....and refused to sell it.
It has a factory supercharger. cute little thing. rear engine,Inline 4 t/v mounted 360 cc.4X4 6 speed manual.rear to front drive,and electric locking rear diff. a/c ect ect......
Belt driven blower is an option on some sambars both on trucks and vans,on some newer models. very rare to find an imported used one here. He claims it will go 100 KM . I believe him, I seen it going down the road it it was cruising good at what looked like 55-60 mph.:burnout: :burnout:

#3 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,477 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

We have one of those right here in Morristown. About 10 miles from here... it's for sale too. $4500 is an awful lot for a radio flyer with a motor though...

#4 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

We have one of those right here in Morristown. About 10 miles from here... it's for sale too. $4500 is an awful lot for a radio flyer with a motor though...

True, but at least it's a practical Radio Flyer.
Can you guys actually license these for road use in your states? I thought pretty much all states had a "offroad use only" for these things? I saw one similar in Priest River, ID, but I think it was a farm license.

#5 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

A couple of Sambar vans in Van:
http://vancouver.cra.../426878037.html
http://vancouver.cra.../426255768.html
Another in Burnaby:
http://vancouver.cra.../423896844.html
Pick-ups in Whiterock:
http://vancouver.cra.../415855555.html

I simply do not see that they are worth the asking price, but to each his/her own, parts here (east coast) are but a dream (as in hopeless).

#6 dave valiant

dave valiant

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Rapid City

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:20 PM

That thing needs a Hyabusa(sp) engine.

#7 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

I seen one for sale at the local "Rod Run" they just had in Pigeon Forge a few weeks ago.

#8 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

When I used to work at a fish canery in Alaska they used those quite a bit to haul things around on the docks. Never drove one though.

#9 Durania

Durania

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:49 PM

What motor is in that thing?

#10 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

360cc twin cylinder probably, or the 600cc 4 banger lol raw horesepower there!

#11 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:16 PM

It's the standard 660cc inline 4. This particular one does does not have the supercharger, so top speed is probably about 120km/r.

#12 Durania

Durania

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:20 PM

Everytime I look at one of them I have a bad mental image of it going down the highway about 60mph doing a stoppie.

#13 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

thats cool :burnout:

#14 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,477 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

oh yeah speaking of Rod Run... I got stuck in that freakin traffic. It SUCKED. BIG TIME. Anyway... wow, a hyubusa engine would... launch that thing in the air probably. I bet they have a HORRIBLE ride. I jumped up on the back of it and the dang thing didn't budge but an inch.

#15 Durania

Durania

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

oh yeah speaking of Rod Run... I got stuck in that freakin traffic. It SUCKED. BIG TIME. Anyway... wow, a hyubusa engine would... launch that thing in the air probably. I bet they have a HORRIBLE ride. I jumped up on the back of it and the dang thing didn't budge but an inch.

You could tell it was a hot rod show just by pulling into Sevier County. All those old hot rods running rich you could really smell it in the air. I seen about 1,000 El Caminos and a frame for a Shelby GT 500 that the dude wanted $95,000.

#16 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:53 PM

WOOO-HOOOO!

Got a ride in a Sambar today! Not the one in the picture, though. Turns out one of my clients bought one, and he showed up in it today. Didn't get to go far (and he drove), but it seems MUCH more liveable than the Suzuki I drove. It's having a stalling problem now, but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with his driving style (5th gear at 25mph? yeah, it'll do it - but WHY?)
Anyways, I jokingly told him if it keeps acting up I'll give him $500 for it (he-he).
No locking diffs on this one, no supercharger, but it still has the "EL" extra-low gear.

#17 Milemaker13

Milemaker13

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Dekalb

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

I have wanted one of these little trucks ever since I seen them doing "yard work" around EstisPark CO. I guess the city bought a bunch, but I thought they were mits? Either way, it'd be cool... but man, expensive. And didn't someone already mention parts avalibility?:horse:

#18 TeamCF

TeamCF

Rocker panel smasher

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

These guys sell them.

http://www.best-used...mini_truck.html

It seems they can get parts, lift kits, ect. for them as well.

#19 cobcob

cobcob

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

These guys sell them.

http://www.best-used...mini_truck.html

It seems they can get parts, lift kits, ect. for them as well.

This would be awesome!!
Posted Image
Wonder if that mod would go on my Brat...

#20 TeamCF

TeamCF

Rocker panel smasher

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

This would be awesome!!
Posted Image
Wonder if that mod would go on my Brat...

I've seen kits like that for full size trucks and SUVs.

http://www.mattracks.com/ (kits for trucks and a link for ATV tracks)

I'm sure there's some kit out there that could be modified to fit a subaru.

Ok now I'll stop with the off topic. :)

#21 Milemaker13

Milemaker13

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Dekalb

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

So, they say they come 7 to a box... Who wants to go in on a container? If 7 of us wanted one, and one of us got the info, we could all just go ahead and order a container. Ship it to one of our shops/ farms and then everybody can come and pick there's up! How much do you think one (or 7) would end up costing? Its an idea...:rolleyes:

#22 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:03 AM

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: im sorry but it just sounds like you guysar buying Hottwheels from the factory the way you you said that lol and youre not far off from the size of that thing. kool rig would be nice to have.

#23 Milemaker13

Milemaker13

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Dekalb

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:51 AM

Does kinda sound like buying a crate of matchbox cars! Kinda is! It would be fun, but one of has to go ahead and talk to these folks and see what a container of 7 costs, all said and done... Who wants to guess? I say 30k. Thats like 4200 each... Thats still alot for a matchbox!

#24 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

So, anyone who uses an ATV for hunting and is tired of freezing their nutz off will be very interested in these at the going price. Easy to lift, you can use ATV tires (maybe some ATV wheels, too?), and HEAT! Not to mention you can throw your gear, deer, and beer right in the back. Plus, I think one of these will fit in the bed of a full-size for transport.

#25 Milemaker13

Milemaker13

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Dekalb

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

Gear, Deer & Beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users