Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 problem need some advice

the car

1990 xt6 manual trans, lsd, locking center, air ride, 16" rims, wrx brakes, intake and full exhuast,

normally this is a solid car, no issues, clock work reliable

the alt kicks the bucket

i replace it, recharge battery and fire her up

she is a little groggy but warms up ok

i drive her to the store and back

right when i get home i hear this loud buzzing, beebing sound

and the check engine light comes on

i disconect the battery and let her cool down

hook the battery up and repeat, same ************ happens

the motor will start loping and dipping, the light comes on and off

the power steering light will flash intermitant during all this

ive checked all the fluids, all the fusses, everything i can think

to check, when she runs she runs great, then she just starts freaking out

all ways with the beeping too, and the ecu never does anything but double flash green, nothing else

im lost any help out there

When you say the alternator "kicked the bucket", was it overcharging? I would have to guess if it were overcharging it may have fried a sensor somewhere maybe. Also have you checked ALL your ground wires for good contact? We see a lot of problems at our shop on new cars when even one bad ground is present. Wreaks havoc on tranny's too, big time.

Where did you buy the alternator and was it new or rebuilt?

I would take it back and have them test it.

Cause it sure sounds like a bad one to me.

Good point. We have about a 50% return rate for defective parts at our local supplier. Just cause its new don't mean its better than the one you took off nowadays.

Did you check and replace the white connector to the Alt??? That has been a very common problem with charging issues and the destroyer of many an Alt and Battery...All with a few different symptoms all depending on the degree of corrosion and deterioration. It should not look like this:

XT6052.jpg

Also.while we are at it check for seperation in your crank pulley..I doubt this will cause the issues you are having but wanted to bring it up since its another common problem ..that is unless you already have a welded one..If not draw a line from the center out..run the car and when you turn it off check to see if the line still lines up

my alt plug was cooked but i replaced it, checked battery, its ok,

i still get that beeping sound plus check engine light comes and goes,

how do i get codes out of this beast

Turn the key to on, go in the trunk and connect the green plug by the computer or maybe its the black plugs, one is stored codes, other is active.

How much do you know about fuel injection systems Theory and Function?

How much would you like to learn?

This isn't going to be a direct help to you in your problems, like it would be if I could simply tell you how to fix the problems on your car (i cannot) BUT its background knowledge that helps you understand how the car works, and how it can FAIL to work...

its a link to parts of the 89 GL FSM Engine sections.. yah, its for the four cylinder, and yah, its for SPFI, but parts of the MPFI sections are there, and the important part is the theory of operation.

http://www.ch601.org/engines.htm find Subaru EA82 parts 1 and 2, open the second file, and go to the Fuel systems chapter, and just read. Read slowly, go back and re read paragraphs that didnt make 100% sense, and if you have to, re read it in a week or two. It is easy reading (unlike some factory service manuals) and a good explanation on "how it works." It may or may not help you in your current problems, but it sure cannot hurt.

hope this helps.

the purge control solenoid is actually attached to one of the vaccume lines coming off the canister thing. it controls the vacume to the cannister. it should be on the back of the passenger side of the intake manifold and also have an electrical connection plugged to it. its a metal square thing with two vaccume lines and a small vent/filter on one end if it hasn't been broken off. it's hard to find since its sort of under other things.