Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh Joy!! more coolant questions

i've got another one for yous. the outer edge of my radiator is hot and so is the intake hose from the engine on the pass. side. the coils in the radiator are not getting hot at all nor is the outlet tube. could this possibly be a problem with the water pump or is this just a plugged radiator?

what are some things i should check with the water pump?

is the car running hot? My RX does the same...but runs cool. If the pump shaft wiggles, its gonna go bad soon...there are holes, 'weep' holes on the waterpump, if there is coolant comming from those holes, its bad.

Its always a good idea to flush, reverse flush, then flush again, the whole coolant system. i didnt that on the RX when i first got it, then it ran cool again...like its doing now.

Oh no...the red zone. Well, dont expect the suby motor to last too much longer...my RX engine did that, then the head decided to let a valve seat go, and burn a valve at the same time....

Ok, here is how I did my engine flush...dont do this with the enigne hot!! It needs to be COLD. Take the t-stat out, and the reinstall the housing, and take the upper rad hose off. Have a water hose handy, and a nozzle with a rubber tip, so it seals into the rad cap seat...haha, no water back spray onto you! Stick the nozzle in, open her wide open! Start the car, and elt her idle, let all the coolant run out, so you get clear water, then run it like so for a couple more mins. YOu might want to hold you hand over the upper rad hose entrace to the rad, as some water might leak out there as well. Now turn the engine off, and take the lower rad hose off...now stick the nozzle in the upper rad hose thingy, and WOT the noz...oh, put the rad cap on. Flush for a min or so...now take the rad cap off, and flush for a bit...now, do the same, but from the lower hose thingy, and the rad cap thingy. Do all of this until you get clear water. Now...let the rad drain, hook all the hoses back up, and fill the rad with pure coolant, you might wanna install a brand new 180 deg t-stat and gasket before this step....then, it should run nice and cool!!