Ultimate Subaru Message Board

<<so i'm getting the head gasket job done on my 01 legacy>>

hopefully the place your getting it done at has tried the coolant additive before jumping to the $$$conclusion of replacing the headgaskets.

I put in fresh subaru coolant w/ the additive, it made no change whatsoever. It's not really leaking per say, but you can smell it, and every now and then I can see the wet spot on the rear of the drivers head...so it def. needs it. It's got 120k on it, so it needs a timing belt and water pump and such anyway, so i figured i'd throw those in there as well....just was curious as to if I had the latest and greatest you know? The guy at the parts dept. said they were, but I've yet to really find a person at any dealership that really knows what's going on......so it can never hurt to do your own research...

I put in fresh subaru coolant w/ the additive, it made no change whatsoever. It's not really leaking per say, but you can smell it, and every now and then I can see the wet spot on the rear of the drivers head...so it def. needs it. It's got 120k on it, so it needs a timing belt and water pump and such anyway, so i figured i'd throw those in there as well....just was curious as to if I had the latest and greatest you know? The guy at the parts dept. said they were, but I've yet to really find a person at any dealership that really knows what's going on......so it can never hurt to do your own research...

Parts guys usually know. Service writers are clueless for the most part. I was one for a very short time and amazed how the blind were leading the blind.

nipper

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay for everything? I'm looking to get it done in my 00 Outback and am curious to what you paid.

I got a complete gasket kit online for like $150 and I also got the water pump, timing belt, misc. seals blah blah blah from another place. I got a guy doing the headgaskets/water pump/timing belt job for around $200 which seems like a good deal compared to what alot of people i've read spend.....the motor has a pretty loud knocking type sound at startup and tends to get pretty quiet after driving around for awhile, but never seems to go completely away, so i'm hoping it will be all right....might need to get a new tensioner for the t-belt as well, we'll see.....my last 2 roo's both had the 2.2, and I never had to touch them....the 2.5 def. has a hell of alot more power, but not to excited about the lack of reliabilty on these from what I've been reading....It's going to be painful to get rid of my 98 2.2 wagon...bulletproof.