Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Market differances?

Ok, so I've been having a bit of trouble getting CV's for the brumby, everywhere I try don't recognise the chassis number, which has got me thinking whether the NZ ones were a little oddball?

First gen(1981) brat ea81's are supposed to be the top mount starter right?

Where I'm sure mine are sidemount, both of them, and one has definately not had a repower.

Belt driven cooling fan, apparently US didn't get those right?

I have adjustable front shocks/ride height. Havn't seen any mention before on the forum of those.

Here are some pictures of the adjusters, and some assorted others from my CV swap today.

I wound them right out on the parts car to experiment, might wind them up on the good one once I've found a source for CV's.

Showa stamped into the shocks, they're a good brand right?

UNI_0116.jpg

UNI_0123.jpg

This

UNI_0106.jpg

Compared to this

UNI_0119.jpg

Old VS new(er) no more clunks.

UNI_0113.jpg

UNI_0117.jpg

Magnetic trays ftw!

UNI_0110.jpg

Hard to see, but mud filled pads.... Maybe it was a bit deep that one time.

UNI_0115.jpg

UNI_0111.jpg

Ok, so I've been having a bit of trouble getting CV's for the brumby, everywhere I try don't recognise the chassis number, which has got me thinking whether the NZ ones were a little oddball?

First gen(1981) brat ea81's are supposed to be the top mount starter right?

Where I'm sure mine are sidemount, both of them, and one has definately not had a repower.

Belt driven cooling fan, apparently US didn't get those right?

I have adjustable front shocks/ride height. Havn't seen any mention before on the forum of those.

Here are some pictures of the adjusters, and some assorted others from my CV swap today.

I wound them right out on the parts car to experiment, might wind them up on the good one once I've found a source for CV's.

Showa stamped into the shocks, they're a good brand right?

Most places in Australia do not recognise the EA81 gen 1 Brumby. It was only sold for less than 18 months before being replaced by the gen 2.

All Australian Brumbys with the EA81 engines have the side mount starter. Basically the front of the gearbox is the same as EA81 engined models while the rear is the same as EA71's. This way you get the dual range transmission of the EA81 with the EA71 shift levers.

The adjustable suspension was standard on the last gen 1 4wd models. I am not sure when they where introduced but my 1978 wagon has them. Subaru was always careful to mention you should not raise the suspension and leave it at the raised height. According to Subaru the increase in height places severe additional loads on the DOJ and CV joints and causes additional tyre wear.

Great pictures waimaks. You may be right about Brumbys being a little oddball in NZ. No Australian Subarus ever had the dual headlight set-up.

The tie rod ends and ball joints are the ones used on the 1600.

I had a bit of trouble getting CVs but managed to get them in the end. If you have a collins place near you I suggest you try them.

One of my headlamps just went out so I replaced the outer ones with semi-sealed units that take the H4 bulbs - huge improvement.

The tie rod ends and ball joints are the ones used on the 1600.

I had a bit of trouble getting CVs but managed to get them in the end. If you have a collins place near you I suggest you try them.

One of my headlamps just went out so I replaced the outer ones with semi-sealed units that take the H4 bulbs - huge improvement.

something of note about the headlights that not many people seem to understand... if they look like they're the right size housing, they probably are... pretty much all older BMW's that had round headlights mount in the exact same way as our old gen1's... and there are TONS of lighting options for bmws...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

all the 5.75" ones fit...

i have the cibie H1/H4 headlamps and the H1 highbeam lamp in my brat... put 100/140W H4 bulbs (with upgraded wiring!!!!) and 130W in the highbeams and you're gonna be rockin' some VERY good lights...

mine (US model) has adjustable front struts aswell... it took me 3 tries before i got rid of the clunk... (3 sets of wheel barings, 1 knuckle, 2 axles, 1 set of brakes)

horrible horrible stuff...:rolleyes:

if they are 5.75" (or 7") they are at repco for just over $30 each. Bulbs are extra but they make a huge difference.

sweet rang placeup and they got some:banana:

so i will go pick sum up in the next few days. whats the highst rated bulbs can ya fit in 2 them?:burnout:

sweet rang placeup and they got some:banana:

so i will go pick sum up in the next few days. whats the highst rated bulbs can ya fit in 2 them?:burnout:

if they are an all metal housing you can cram up to 100W/140W hella bulbs in there... but you'll have to upgrade all your wiring and run new relays and stuff to deal with the added power... it's pretty easy to do... if you just plug in a higher wattage bulb into the plug and flick it on it will melt the wiring and blow the fuse...