Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Repair Place in Chicago Area?

I'm moved to Chicago recently and I'm trying to find a good mechanic that can give me a sincere estimate and do quality work on my 2000 Legacy without trying to rip me off. It has an external head gasket leak that's gotten pretty bad recently and it's also developed a clicking sound when changing gears that I want to get checked out. Does anyone have any recommendations about who to take it to?

thanks.

Try PC Auto in Arlington Heights. 1410 N. Rand Road 847-259-7670.

A WRX racing gearhead referred me to this shop.

I had an external leak on my much abused 95 legacy 2.2L. I was getting tired of smelling antifreeze and was worried about when it would start leaking internally. They did both head gaskets for under $1,000. There was no internal leaking so it was an easy job. They are flexible and did everything I asked them to (I wanted to keep it cheap). The Subaru dealer was going to run at least $2,000 or more.

They're literally down the street from a Subaru dealer so they have no problem getting Subaru parts.

• 2 years later...

http://dagostinoautoservice.com/

I worked here as a mechanic. The prices are rock bottom and they are open 24/7.

If you need the HGs replaced then go and talk to Marco, the owner. He's an older Italian man who has owned the shop for 47 years.

They are really good about letting you buy the parts you want and installing them for you. This way you don't get insane mark ups on price and you also get to have quality parts installed.

Edited by bstone