Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

brake drum interchange

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Will the rear drums from my 84 2 wheel drive wagon interchange with the badly corroded ones on my "new" 92 Loyale 4wd?

#2 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

No

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

2WD vs 4WD are different.

#4 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

Well, it was a thought.:( Thanks, people Guess I'll consider the disc brake upgrade. I have read the posts in USRM, but didn't see any mention of a proportioning valve change. Anyone care to comment on that?

#5 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

prop valve bump??

#6 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

prop valve bump??

I've read that Loyales have the valve already.

#7 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:44 PM

I've read that Loyales have the valve already.

I guess I should re-phrase that. I understand disc/drum systems require different front-rear proportioning than disc/disc. So should one get the correct valve from the turbo car when doing the swap?

#8 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

Apologies to all. I should have read the rear disc swap thread right under my last post, which covered the prop valve pretty well, although it still isn't clear as to whether a Loyale disc/drum has the same valve as a disc/disc. I believe I'll ask my new best friend at the nearest Soob dealer to compare part numbers.;)

#9 Ginger48

Ginger48

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • With The Mountain Goats

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

It's my understanding proportioning valves are only used with rear servo type drum brakes. Loyals use non-servo brakes so there shouldn't be any proportioning valves on them.

Non-servo type brakes do not have the stopping power that servo type has. When the automobile manufacturers started installing disk brakes on the front, with the servo-type rear brakes, they used proportioning valves to keep the rear brakes from locking up prematurely. Later, the manufacturers redisigned the rear brakes to non-servos so they could eliminate the proportioning valve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users