Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy GT cv boot/axle seals

Had my 2000 LegacyGT in for free oil change (lifetime :banana:) and was told when I picked it up that I need to replace torn driver side inner and outer CV boots AND axle seals.

Had it up on a friend's lift and sure enough there was enough grease slung around the inner boot to confirm that aspect. Didn't notice any problem with the outer boot.

There is no clicking sound yet on turns.

Car has 102,000 miles on it.

I didn't notice any leaks on the passenger side.

Prices quoted:

2 boots x $40 + 2.0 labor = $270

axle seal(s?) $28 + 3.0 labor = $315

Questions:

1. Should I change the boots or replace axle at 102,000 miles? What is the life expectancy of axles?

2. What should the upcharge be for changing the axle seal(s) at the same time as the cv work or is it unrelated? Am I being hammered?

Price the cost of axles, it may be cheaper. Axle seals should only be the labor to remove the seal itself, not the cost to get to it. YOu have to remove the axle to replace the boot anyway.

I'ld look into the cost of replacement axles and then make a decision. CVS last a long time as long as the boot is in one peice.

nipper

Hi. Yes RH (passenger) inner boot is a common one to go at that mileage. I just had it happen on '00obw.

The OEM axles are very durable. I'd either have the existing axle rebooted (if it hasn't been torn long enough to get grit in there), or go with a Subaru OEM reman or an MWE axles reman, or many people like GCK axles from the auto parts store. I wouldn't put an auto parts store reman in there at least no if it is an auto trans; too many complaints about some strange vibration when stopped in drive afterwards.

If you are talking about the axle seal on the differential, then the retainer has to come off and there is an o-ring behind there too. This is the part:

stubshaft-1a.jpgstubshaftseal1.jpg

spx499787000.gifsocket-4wd-1.jpg

If you are talking about the inner axle seal on the bearing housing, that takes only a few minutes to pull the old one and drive a new one:

pull-seal-1-md.jpgbearing-inner-1-md.jpg

wheelbearinginnerseal1.jpg

really, an axle seal? it's not very common to replace axle seals as preventative maintenance. i'm not saying it's a terrible idea, i've never done it before though.

unless you know the boot hasn't been ripped long i'd just buy a new axle. personally i'd replace the axle with MWE or Subaru only axles (don't have much personal experience with GCK). parts store axles absolutely suck, i (and others) have seen brand new ones blow to bits...not to mention leaking grease, cracked boots, vibrations and clicking. if that's not appealing to you, i'd consider replacing the boots over a store bought POS. it should be okay, but could start vibrating (inner) or clicking (outer) if much debris has gotten up in there since it broke. if you drive on dirty/gravel or off road it's probably not a good chance to take that it will be okay. normal road driving, you'll probably be okay. the good news is that the axle won't blow to bits, it's not a safety issue, it may just start making noise down the road if it's been exposed too long.

Called another local Subie dealer. He said $230 to do inner boot. If outer is shot as well then just put reman shaft in for $390 and drive away. He too didn't consider the axle seal as a must do. I can't see how the first dealer could have determined axle seal was bad considering the grease slopped all over the area.:confused:

When I questioned the first dealer, he said he could do the 2 boots and axle seal for combined $500! What a deal... er steal.

As always, thanks for the direction.

And now you know why they offer the free oil changes! Once you're in there, they find something else to do and overcharge for it.

Thats also the trick on 9.99 and 19.99 oil changes.

Technically on an oilchange they are supposed to be inspecting your car, but the lower the oil change price, the higher the chance of them finding something.

nipper