Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brought the RX home today...

Clutch doesnt work so well

4wd light doesnt light up

Diff lock light flickers (more off then on)

Loosing alot of coolant from some random place... not really sure where... (puddles under front right and full rear of motor)

Oil pressure reads 5ish at idle, up to 45 when at 3k

Turbo light only comes on somtimes (turbo makes a pssshhh sound when it does come on)

Car smells really bad inside and out lol

1001071343.jpg

1001071848.jpg

1001071848a.jpg

Wierd, sounds like the switch is wired wrong or there is a short somewhere.

I do not advise driving the car with the diff lock on. That locks the center diff 50/50 front and rear, and you will cause damage to the diff or the transmission.

Its like driving an old school subaru in 4WD on pavement. Not a good idea.

Thats why i leave it in the ON position which is actually Off.

Any ideas on what it might be or should i just check the wiring?

The vacuum lines to the actuator are reversed if its really disengaged in the on position.

Pop the hood, look for the two solenoids that control the diff lock. Two vacuum hoses come from the manifold, and two hoses go back to the transmission. Switch the two going to the transmission and it should work fine.

With the switch in the ON position, does it bind around corners? Try turning it in tight circles, then flip the switch to OFF and try it real quick. You'll notice right away which one is and isn't in the engaged position. (If it gets stuck, just drive in reverse in the same tight circle to unbind it, or lift one end of the car up in the air)

Well after starting it for the 3rd time and blasting some stale smelling gas out the exhaust, the idle is getting smoother, battery holds a charge, and the center diff light is coming on now when its supposed to.

Wednesday we're going to hose the thing down with some simplegreen and dawn dish soap, then change the oil, flush the coolant, seafoam it, and do teh air filter.

The vacuum lines to the actuator are reversed if its really disengaged in the on position.

Pop the hood, look for the two solenoids that control the diff lock. Two vacuum hoses come from the manifold, and two hoses go back to the transmission. Switch the two going to the transmission and it should work fine.

With the switch in the ON position, does it bind around corners? Try turning it in tight circles, then flip the switch to OFF and try it real quick. You'll notice right away which one is and isn't in the engaged position. (If it gets stuck, just drive in reverse in the same tight circle to unbind it, or lift one end of the car up in the air)

In the ON position it is fine.In the Off position is when it binds when turning.

Where are these solenoids and if i switch the vacuum lines will that change when the light is on?

In the ON position it is fine.In the Off position is when it binds when turning.

Where are these solenoids and if i switch the vacuum lines will that change when the light is on?

These solenoids are in the engine bay, probably near the d/s strut tower (iirc).

The light comes on when the lock is engaged, and has nothing to do with the actual position of the switch. Ergo, switching the vacuum hoses should correct it.

You had me confused. I thought you were the OP... FYI: Its best to start your own thread with your problems instead of cluttering up someone else's thread.