Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The STi is an increadably fast machine. If you launch it hard enough you are reaching for second gear in a blink. The car handles wonderfully, and with a good alignment is awesome. But at the same time the suspension is soft enough that you can go on a four hour road trip and not get sick(that's the longest I've taken so far, but 6+ is in the near future) The car isn't really that noisey inside. It may be noisey compared to other $30000 cars, but compared to mid 90's legacy I'd say they are about the same. The gearbox shifts like a racing H pattern should, and the gearing is perfect for autocrossing. All around it is an awesome car for the money. Oh, and with some decent Mud and Snow tires it doesn't do that bad in the snow.

Keith

My maiden voyage was absolutely unbelieveable. There were 4 people in the car, and even in 2nd gear at 20mph, he punched it and still squealed a front tire!! My neck hurt the next morning....

But what's cooler, I could take a Baja Turbo, put an STi intercooler and ECU in it and have almost a 300hp Baja!!! :banana:

I drove one last week. Absolutely amazing. I've never driven a car as fast that handled so well. turbo lag is almost unoticable. and once fully spooled it takes off like a rocket. Lotsa torque steer. It's scarry when you pin it- it almost wants to break loose. I love it :lol: .

Mark,

Originally posted by LegacyT

I drove one last week. Absolutely amazing. I've never driven a car as fast that handled so well. turbo lag is almost unoticable. and once fully spooled it takes off like a rocket. Lotsa torque steer. It's scarry when you pin it- it almost wants to break loose. I love it :lol: .

Mark,

If you ever get the chance to drive one on an autocross course I highly reccomend it. When you exit a tight corner, all you have to do is floor it and keep the wheel pointed where you want to go. The rear will start to step out, but as soon as you reach to correct, the Diffs take over and you are gone! I was used to a FWD car before the STi, and by far the STi is more fun.

Keith

Originally posted by LegacyT

Mark,

Why would it torque steer?

Torque steer is caused by unequal length drive shafts on FWD cars with transversly mounted engines. The STi drivetrain will also transfer more power to the rear wheels under acceleration, which will definitely NOT cause torque steer.

Not necessarily dude. I can get a decent amount of torque steer in my XT in FWD... all you need is an open diff to try and spin the inside wheel faster than the other...

The STi shouldn't do it too much, it has LSD's all the way around I think. But with 300 hp and 300 torque, I guess even an LSD can only do so much :D

Originally posted by jamal

Why would it torque steer?

Torque steer is caused by unequal length drive shafts on FWD cars with transversly mounted engines. The STi drivetrain will also transfer more power to the rear wheels under acceleration, which will definitely NOT cause torque steer.

It isn't really torque steer as you think of it. What happens is the front Diff is an LSD so it pulls you where ever the wheels are pointed, and with 300hp it pulls you hard and fast to the point where you need to react quickly. Its hard to decribe.

Keith