Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber on the 1600.

So... instead of stuffin a EA81 into the car and doin the weber swap to it... how about I just put the weber straight onto the 1600? Anyone here running a Weber 32/36 on their EA71? I havent taken a look at the carburator on mine, but I dont think it has the same bolt pattern as the 2BBL Hitachi's. If I dont have the adapter for a EA71, can I bolt a EA81 manifold to my 1600?

-Brian

So... instead of stuffin a EA81 into the car and doin the weber swap to it... how about I just put the weber straight onto the 1600? Anyone here running a Weber 32/36 on their EA71? I havent taken a look at the carburator on mine, but I dont think it has the same bolt pattern as the 2BBL Hitachi's. If I dont have the adapter for a EA71, can I bolt a EA81 manifold to my 1600?

-Brian

I put a weber on my "Fat case" EA71, no problems, although the carb I have is a 28/36.. Has a little snappier off-idle response than the 32/36, plus it has an enrichment device instead of a choke.

Do it. I had a std jetted 32/36 on the 1600 in my Ski Wagon, and it just made the 1600 scream... I also had converted to the newer electronic ea81 disty.

then add a MSD-6A Ignition for more fun....

Ya, i'm definatly thinking Weber + Electric disty + upgrade ignition, whichever engine I use...

Modify a stock airbox to fit over the Weber, chances are the idiot at the smog shop won't take the air cleaner off to check, and you could probably tell him it was a stock carb and they'd never know. There ARE emissions-legal webers out there, I've seen them, the usually have extra ports and junk like that to drive the emissions crap.