Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Transmission info, what will fit?
Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:48 AM
I believe that all 5 speed manuals would fit, and yeah of course we know depending on what style 4 wheel drive it is.... So I was just wondering what years and types of transmissions will bolt on to what, now I know these are subarus so, almost everything will bolt on but, just for future reference.
GD I'm sure you would know this so help a brutha out
Also Which car has the 4 speed in it? is it the Justy??? Im not sure I seem to have missed this in old school subaru 101 thanks alot guys, and yeah, I did use the search.... found lots of EJ swap ideas but no dice on this...
Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:00 AM
the 2wd trannys for the same cars were 5 spd.
Any "loyale" m/t should be a 5 spd, and will fit, BUT youll have to swap the DOJ cups on the front axles to make everything work.
Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:09 PM
HTH, can anyone clarify this?
Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:23 PM
OT but what are the DOJ cups?
Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:33 PM
Sounds like the "donor car" is a EA81 like Daeron said. And a 86 wagon should be EA82. So its not a straight fit. The EA81 4sp is longer and you'd need the propshaft as well because of that. The shifter linkage is completely different. And the low/high range lever is different too. I wouldn't bother putting a 4sp into an EA82, its just too much work in my mind.
Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:50 PM
1. The wireing (relativley easy unless the 86 is FI) - reverse lights, and 4WD indicators are backwards.
2. The linkage (also relatively easy - it's the reverse of the 5 speed EA81 swap). It can be made to look stock by shortening the 4WD lever by about 1" and mounting the back portion of the 5 speed's "linkage tray" where the pivot for the 4WD lever is located directlt to the underside (fabrication again, but not real difficult).
3. The transmission cross-member (have to fab something as it will be completely different - medium difficulty - you can look at my write up on using 5 speed mounts on my EA81 for ideas [not the same though] - http://home.comcast....eed_mounts.html).
4. Exhaust hanger bracket (little welding - not much problem - doesn't have to be pretty, so I'll say this is an "easy")
5. Clutch will have to be the EA82 flywheel resurfaced to the EA81 pressure plate step, EA81 pressure plate, and EA81 disc. OR you could use the EA82 pressure plate, EA81 disc, and fit a Nissan 720 truck release bearing to the EA81 bearing holder - so you have options.
6. Use the 4 speed single peice driveline.
Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:49 PM
Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:39 AM
On another note If you do have a transmission drop me a pm.
Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:07 AM
Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:36 PM
..I found a 2wd 1987 justy transmission for $50 bucks. I would imagine that these are a bolt in to my EA82 right? At least this would get my car on the road for now until I find another dual range transmission(or take mine apart and try to fix it.)
justy transmissions do not fit, it's a transverse engine and a completely different design
sorry, keep searching (check the ad's on the board here)
Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:22 PM
Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:43 PM
Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:38 AM
Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:23 AM
Justy parts (including the transmission) will only fit other Justy's.
Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:46 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users