Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TCU Secret Handshake???? Need IFO

OK the other morning I started up our MY97 Legacy Wagon and was adjusting the mirrors when I "thought" I saw the AT TEMP light flash. Must have caught the last one because it didn't do it again. I searched for the TCU Handshake to pull the codes:

1) Warm up the engine

2) Turn the ignition switch OFF

3) Turn the ignition switch ON

4) Start the engine

5) Drive the vehicle at speeds greater than 12 MPH

6) Stop the vehicle

7) Depress the brake pedal and move the gear selector to "1"

8) Turn the ignition switch to OFF

9) Turn the ignition switch to ON

10) Move the gear selector to "2"

11) Move the gear selector to "1"

12) Move the gear selector to "2"

13) Move the gear selector to "3"

14) Move the gear selector to "D"

Now examine the AT Oil Temp light again:

If the light's blinking 4 times a second, then the problem is most likely a power supply or ground problem.

If the light's blinking 2 times a second, then the TCM believes all is normal.

If the light's on solid or not on at all, then there's a problem with the light's circuit.

But I couldn't get it to reveal it's secrets to me.

Now this AM it did flash at me. I still can't get it to tell me what it's problem is.

Can anyone confirm this is the proper proceedure for a MY97?

Has anyone done this and is there any trick to it?

After all this is said and done where is a good source for the definition of the codes, ASSUMING I get them?

OK the other morning I started up our MY97 Legacy Wagon and was adjusting the mirrors when I "thought" I saw the AT TEMP light flash. Must have caught the last one because it didn't do it again. I searched for the TCU Handshake to pull the codes:

1) Warm up the engine

4) Start the engine

6) Stop the vehicle

If the light's blinking 4 times a second, then the problem is most likely a power supply or ground problem.

If the light's on solid or not on at all, then there's a problem with the light's circuit.

Now this AM it did flash at me. I still can't get it to tell me what it's problem is.

After all this is said and done where is a good source for the definition of the codes, ASSUMING I get them?

See you didnt put your left foot in, then shake it all about. Thats what you did wrong.

Lets do a quick test while the handshake is figured out. Go drive in a tight circle and see if the car does it smoothly and with very little to no throttle. That would rule out the nasty torque bind. If the car does lurch put the FWD in the holder and see if it goes away. if it doesnt you need to get it to a dealer soon. If there is no sign of TB, and no driveability issues, have a dealer look at it when you can.

There rae 6 solenoids (maybe 8 i forget) in the tranny, the ATF sensor, and a few engine sensors that can throw the TCU light.

The one that can do damage is the duty C (torque bind). The others may not even be percievable.

nipper

nipper

Diag_connector.gifThis is the diagnostic connector used. It is located uder the dash to the right of the steering colum. There will be two jumper wires taped to the harness of this connector. These are ground wires. There are terminals in this connector with power to them. Do not plug the jumper into the wrong terminal.

This is the proceedure. Disreguard the last footnote! Were it tells you to "connect diagnosis switch to ON", connect jumper to terminal #6. I copyed the proceedure from a '95 manual, it says terminal #5. Mitchell says terminal #6 for a '97.

Disclaimer: I have found mistakes in all service manuals. Even FSM's. Test for power at the terminals of the diagnostic connector with key on before plugging in any jumpers.

TCU_code_flow_chart.gif

Thanks to WAWalker for the info.

I will check the connector out tonight with a volt meter to make sure there isn't any voltage before I plug in the jumper to ground.

If I am successful, I'll need a source for the codes to see what's up.

I must have looked like an idiot trying to get the original handshake to work. My neighbor came over and casually asked what I was doing, while I was sitting there shifing the car and turning the key off and on and cursing mildly.

His suggestion was that "Maybe you're doing it wrong!":grin:

He's ALWAYS been full of helpful info...:rolleyes:

That is strange! I'm sure I have copied an pasted info like that before and it worked. Maybe this is some new method to keep people from pirating info:confused:

It is not even Subaru info each time.

Anywho, hope you got what you needed. Buy the way. If you go to http://www.alldatadiy.com/ you can get the info for your MY for $24.95 for 1 year, then $14.95 to renew. Pretty cheap.

That is strange! I'm sure I have copied an pasted info like that before and it worked. Maybe this is some new method to keep people from pirating info:confused:

It is not even Subaru info each time.

Anywho, hope you got what you needed. Buy the way. If you go to http://www.alldatadiy.com/ you can get the info for your MY for $24.95 for 1 year, then $14.95 to renew. Pretty cheap.

I did copy the correct first images you provided before the images started to rotate. i keep looking at the different images, some are interesting.

Thanks Again!

I think I got it fixed, for anyone eles who would like to use this info.

That flow chart should be good for '95-'99.

Pin # to be grounded is in question.

I went back to Mitchell On Demand and it states pin #6 for all those years.

The flow chart is right out of the FSM and states pin #5.

So............................I just use my Select Monitor, saves all the goofing off with the gear selector and all;)

[...]should be good for '95-'99.

Pin # to be grounded is in question.

I went back to Mitchell On Demand and it states pin #6 for all those years.

The flow chart is right out of the FSM and states pin #5.[...]

I can say with certainty that on the MY '99 Legacy, pin #6 of connector B82 is for diagnosis of the ABS system (been there, done that :) ). Also, pin #4 and pin #5 positions aren't populated on the '99 (only 1, 2, 3 and 6 are there). The FSM states (and the wiring diagram shows) that #1 and #2 are for airbag (SRS) diagnosis, at least on the '99. The Mitchell info may be correct for earlier models.

• 9 years later...

1) Warm up the engine

4) Start the engine

6) Stop the vehicle

​Did you use this method?

Did you use this method?

OMG, I forgot about this thread almost 9.5 years old. I never had success getting it to respond.I even had to think about which Subie it was. The problem went away and I never follow up. The car ran fine for 3 years until it was rear-ended and totaled.