Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i was thinking again....thats dangerous...

WJM

....about putting an EZ30D (gen1 thats from 2001~2004) 3.0L H6 in the RX instead.

Its the same cubical dimensions as the EJ25D, 212hp/210tq and its N/A...so no complicated piping needed. Plus if i wire in the stock ECU from an 01~04, no need for tuning or anything.

Oh, and it would be completely reliable.....and a complete PITA to work on in car. :Flame:

i'm sure you thought of this, but the EG33 would probably be an excellent option as well. much easier to find, very, very reliable, non interference (well technically it's not but functionally speaking it is) and i think more HP. cheaper, just as reliable, and more hp.....lots of performance options for it too.

gotcha, the EG33 fits in the XT6 if that helps you at all.

yea, but the ER27 doesn't fit in the place of a 4-cyl either.

the EZ motors DO.

I too have been contemplating doing an H6 swap using an EZ series. although given the news on NASIOC that the Link G3 will soon be able to decode the CAS signal for the EZ30DR.....I may go that route.

and it would be completely reliable..
hahahaha.. hmm.. lol

I thought the wiring on those 3.0 H6's was almost impossible to cut down due to all the inbuilt anti theft crap into the ECU and looms, blah blah... I sound like I have no idea, thats cos I don't..

Would be a sweet ride though.

I've been thinking along the same lines for when I smoke my turbo-wagon motor. I could pick up an ez30 for 450 max, it was in a flood car though. The insides of the valvecovers look good, but who knows about the cyl's.

Engine management is what I'd be concerned by. If i could get the ECU and harness for it it would be awsome, but... I'm not sure it's available.

My only problem with the H6 is it doesn't have the low end power you'd feel on the ej25, driving around town

:confused: :confused: how can a 3.0l have less torque than a 2.5l :confused: :confused:

I've never driven one myself, so I don't know. but that concept hurts my brain :)

maybe because they were all mated to 4EATs in heavy cars. the SVX doesn't feel like a terribly quick car in stock form, but an EG33 powered 5MT GC impreza is almost scary fast (got to ride in one of those a couple weeks ago)!

aren't the EZ30 a variable valve timing motor....if you where to use a stand alone ECU it would have to be able to control the funky valve gear

only the EZ30R has the AVCS, so if you stick with the older EZ30s you'll have no problem

besides, I thought there was a standalone system that could work with that variable stuff, but I might be wrong...

Or try a 4.44 gear swap in an auto (If that is what you have). That's for another thread though. :)

WJM and his ideas. :headbang:

or put the slushbox on the bottom of a lake where it belongs, and swap it for a real trans :clap:

getting rid of the drivetrain loss of an auto would give alot more gains then regearing said auto.

getting rid of the drivetrain loss of an auto would give alot more gains then regearing said auto.
wrong, but that's been addressed in another thread too. the actual numbers of the XT6 don't bear that out. the 0-60 times are nearly identical and the highway gas mileage is nearly identical too. that's what the numbers show and i've owned about 20 or more of these things, it's about what i've seen. the manuals "feel" faster, really mostly just in first gear, but that doesn't mean jack to a clock. at this point in age...the condition of the car and engine will be FAR more bearing on the actual "speed" of the vehicle than whether it's an auto or manual.

What he said ^^.

The 4EAT transmission are awesome.

Its the 3AT's that are not the best. However, I never got worse than 24mpg with my EA82T wagon around town...and about 30 interstate.

5MT was 22-ish in town, and the same on the interstate.

For some reason my RX always got 24 in town and 36~37 interstate. (5MT D/R)

My 4EAT outback gets 32 interstate. My 05 RS (5MT) only got 30~31. In town both get about 20~22.

The WRX's (5MT) get about 12~16 intown...and 30~32 interstate.

STi's usually do not exceed 26mpg on the interstate, thats a 6MT.

Around town I never see better than about 8mpg with the STi.