Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

gt vs outback 4eat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oooo

oooo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • virginia

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

both the 97 legacy gt and outback have a 4.44 4eat, but are the ratio's for 1st to 4th the same or does each model have a seperate 4.44 transmission with there own specific ratio's

#2 xrturbo

xrturbo

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • allentown

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:45 AM

I am pretty sure you can interchange the two transmissions that year if you swap the TCU. You would also have to change the speed sensor.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:44 AM

I am pretty sure you can interchange the two transmissions that year if you swap the TCU.

have you done it? others that have swapped trans and TCU have said that it seems best to keep the TCU for the vehicle as it's programed for the particular weight/style. in other words a GT sedan TCU would be better in a GT sedan, not a wagon. i'm about to swap trans and that's what i've seen/heard out of searching here and asking.

#4 the_postie

the_postie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • brisbane.aust

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

I agree with kepping the tcu matched to the vechicle.I'm currently running a turbo tcu in a n/a vechicle,normal driving its ok but as soon as you hold it flat it over revs between gears .Put simply the shift points are different.

#5 the_postie

the_postie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • brisbane.aust

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

. You would also have to change the speed sensor.

The difference i've seen in speed sensors is not the sensor but the wheel it gets its count off.A vtd style rear transfer has 22 teeth and a clutch pack style transfer has 30 if i remember correctly.This will confuse the tcu as the counts per revolution are different.I don't think it will be a prob with the mentioned auto boxes.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

to the OP - the gear ratios for auto trans are hard to come by. there are links to pages with massives amounts of info on manual trans, but the auto trans stuff is harder to find. probably easier to stop at a dealer and ask them, it should be in the FSM.

A vtd style rear transfer has 22 teeth and a clutch pack style transfer has 30.

what's the difference here and which transmissions had which style?

#7 xrturbo

xrturbo

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • allentown

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

I have done it a few times. The reason I used the TCU with the trans is because it was stated to do so on the Hollander interchange I use. They drove and shifted perfect. You would be fine either way.

#8 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

I have done it a few times.

cool. others have seen bad shifting when swapping the TCU. i ask if they have the TCU if i'm looking at a transmission. for $50-$100 it's worth it to have on hand.

#9 the_postie

the_postie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • brisbane.aust

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

what's the difference here and which transmissions had which style?

Vtd is on wrx and tt in australia ,not sure in the states if it was the same.The vtd[variable torque distribution] transfer has a planetery gear set and clutches it is more rear wheel bais .Clutch pack transfers were pretty much on everything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users