Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Axles?

Though axles are technically "interchangeble" {within spline counts}, I would use Turbone's chart to select the correct one.

I am convinced that a lot of the mysterious "premature bearing failures" that people complain about are a direct result of using the wrong axle. People often grab the first decent axle they see at the yards, without really identifying if it's correct. Discount Part stores have not helped matters, 'cause a lot of them carry a single item# for each spline count. As a result, there are mixed up axles all over the place - whether in the car you are driving, or on the one in the JY.

The legnths of the axles vary, as the chart shows, and I suspect that the additional strain of an incorrect axle lead to the additional bearing wear. I have never seen the kind of bearing failures as with the EA's in any other make I've ever been involved with. This is just not normal.

Of course, you can use any axle with the correct spline count in a pinch. But be prepared to pay the price of additional bearings, seals, and anything else you happen to damage when swapping axles out constantly

good luck, John