Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dipstick question

Ok so i changed the oil today and put in 4.2 quarts like the service manual and everything i have ever seen says(ea81 4wd) so i check the dipstick after i put in the oil and it reads way over full. i think no big deal the oil just needs to be run through the engine. so i run the car at idle for a few minutes and then tear it up around the block for a minute or two. get back and the dipstick still reads way over full?

which do i trust?

dipstick ?

or

the fact that i put in 4.2 quarts like the manual says?

Hey did you change the filter too? We're you on level ground? I would trust the dip stick. The last time I changed my oil and filter was about two weeks ago and I used a one gallon container of oil and it filled it perfectly. I drained the oil at the pan until it was just barely dripping and at the filter until it wasn't dripping at all. What does the oil pressure read? Good luck!

age,s 5 37 37 kid-mama dada. work----car,s-playing-writing.

My kid got at the computer while I was on the phone!

which do i trust?

dipstick ?

or

the fact that i put in 4.2 quarts like the manual says?

The figure in the manual is only meant as an indication. Put three quarters or a bit more of the amount it states, check the dipstick, add a bit more, check again etc. untill it is correct. Start the car, run for a min or two, let the oil settle for another minute or two, then check again and top up as necessary.