Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear diff question

Hello all. While poking through a local wrecking yard today I was looking at Subaru rear diffs. I found several with rear ratios from 3.7 to 4.11 and one RX that had the LSD. I have a couple of questions for the Subaguru's. On the LSD RX diff, I didn't notice but the car may have been Turbo'ed. If it is can I presume it has the 25 spline axels? If it isn't with turbo will it be 23 spline axels? Next question. Are there any Suby rear diff's that have a short or no long input? All the diff's I saw had a long snout on the front of the housing, for my application I'd like a rear diff with a short input snout. Two final questions. I saw a '93 Imprezza. It's diff had a finned rear cover, would that cover fit on the Rx's LSD housing? and finally is the finned cover standard on the newer rear diff's or is it an aftermarket item?Thanks. Dave.

IIRC the spline counts only apply to the front axles. I think all rear axles are the same spline count in the EA era.

Not sure about EJ stuff.

Pick up that LSD. it's gold.

BW

Definitely pick up the LSD. Spline counts on all the rear diffs are the same. EJ rear diffs don't have stub axles like the EA81 and EA82. I couldn't tell you about the finned plate; either way I wouldn't consider changing it.

I'd kill for that LSD.... OK, maybe kill isn't the right word. Maybe I'd injure severely!!!:banana::banana::banana:

PS. Make sure the car you put it on has the 3.7 gear ratio comming out the back of the tranny (turbo, xt6's maybe). I would hate to see you fry one the diff or your transmission.

Damn seems like LSD's grow up there in Carson City. I myself have pulled 2 from that yard, and a buddy of mine has gotten 3 or 4 from that yard. Now there's another??? You better get it this weekend or I might have to drive up there and snatch it :)

Oh yeah, and the rear diff will match all EA series subaru rear diffs, as far as CV's are concerned. Just the 3.7 that sucks cause most EA subaru's are 3.9.

-Brian

Damn seems like LSD's grow up there in Carson City. I myself have pulled 2 from that yard, and a buddy of mine has gotten 3 or 4 from that yard. Now there's another??? You better get it this weekend or I might have to drive up there and snatch it :)

Oh yeah, and the rear diff will match all EA series subaru rear diffs, as far as CV's are concerned. Just the 3.7 that sucks cause most EA subaru's are 3.9.

-Brian

Thanks Guy's. I'll go tomarrow and pick that up. I did notice that of the rear diff's we looked at (there must have been well over a dozen) most were 3.9. There were also several 3.7's and one 4.11. In my application I need the rear diff to take the place of the transaxel, so I need the spline count to match. Cheers. Dave.

You can also convert that LSD to 3.9 I'm going to undertake that task as soon as I get the front running gear on my parts car so i can move it and snag the diff off of the rear.

Actually for what I need the 3.7 will be good. I went today and picked up the LSD rear. The car was marked as an '87 RX. I saw an XT that had the graphics on the side that said it was a 4wd Turbo, but it wasn't it was front wheel drive. It did have the rear window louvers on it if anyone is interested. I saw an '80 model (marked as a '80 GLS) wagon there that had a third headlight in the center of the grill under the logo. Is that an option or was it standard on the GLS? heers. Dave.

Actually for what I need the 3.7 will be good. I went today and picked up the LSD rear. The car was marked as an '87 RX. I saw an XT that had the graphics on the side that said it was a 4wd Turbo, but it wasn't it was front wheel drive. It did have the rear window louvers on it if anyone is interested. I saw an '80 model (marked as a '80 GLS) wagon there that had a third headlight in the center of the grill under the logo. Is that an option or was it standard on the GLS? Cheers. Dave.

One more thing. I found another '93 Imprezza on the lot and it also had the finned rear cover. Must be standard? Cheers. Dave.

did you happen to come across any ea 81's with a push bar, saw one at reno pap but it was bent to ****.
means you can probably get it for next to nothing. there are shops that can fix that. they can do amazing work if you find a shop that has done this kind of work before. they straighten crome bumpers and other metal objects all the time. i imagine they heat it somehow. i've seen some awesome work before, nearly perfect.