Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Red is Sick (in a bad way)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

OK. So Red, the $300 94 Leggy Alpine Wagon, has come down with a bad case of clutch failure. The pedal goes in, the fork moves, but there is only a littl resistance on the pedal, showing that the pressure plate is not being pressed enough to sepparate the clutch disk from the fly wheel. Ticks me off because the clutch assy. is only six months old. I'm hoping that maybe the throw-out fork is bent or something.

#2 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

OK. So Red, the $300 94 Leggy Alpine Wagon, has come down with a bad case of clutch failure. The pedal goes in, the fork moves, but there is only a littl resistance on the pedal, showing that the pressure plate is not being pressed enough to sepparate the clutch disk from the fly wheel. Ticks me off because the clutch assy. is only six months old. I'm hoping that maybe the throw-out fork is bent or something.

I would be willing to bet that. I've seen it happen before on other Legacies. 9 times out of 10, it's the linkage of the clutch that's broken - not the clutch itself.

#3 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

Broken fork confirmed! Will post a pic in a few.

http://www.ultimates...=1&d=1191707416

Attached Files

#4 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,717 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Whew.........gotta be a relief that the problem is just the fork, not the clutch itself. Lots less money to repair.

#5 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

But it does kinda suck to have to pull everything apart just to get to that little piece of metal!:-\ Anyway, I went to the J-Yard today to se if I could get one. I was working on getting one out, but the yard closed before I could finish. But I did get a new starter and some really nice back carpet (mine was trashed by previous owner), and the nice thing is that all the yards seem to be having the semi anual 1/2 off sale this week-end. Tomorrow, I WILL get the fork out (pun intended), and I might also get the rack and pinion, since mine is leaking and the one ob the donor car at the yard is bone dry.

#6 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

Got fork, an I'm reassembling as we speak.

#7 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,634 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

Got fork, an I'm reassembling as we speak.

Way to go Sonic! For the less knowledgable (like me) what do you have to do to r&r the fork, drop the entire tranny?

Thnx.

#8 gbrand

gbrand

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • fort worth area

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

just move engine and transmission far enough apart to get in there to replace-get spare TO bearing clips as one or both will end up in the 4th dimension during thiis job dealeronly part. I got new fork from dealer for 30 bucks including 2nd day shipping.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users