Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, if I will be doing my Wires and plugs, would you guys recommend OEM or aftermarket wires? I know I will be using either NGK or just any Platinum plugs, but not sure about wires yet. The last time I replaced my wires, I did it with aftermarket ones. Should I go for OEM this time? What's special about OEM (other than it being more expensive) vs. aftermarket anyway?

[...]What's special about OEM (other than it being more expensive) vs. aftermarket anyway?

Ummm, they work and keep working for a decent time/mileage. :) It's not that aftermarket wires couldn't do the job, it's that many aren't reliable.

Due to the wasted-spark configuration, the spark polarity is reversed on two of the plugs; if you're not going to get original NGKs, at least make sure you use double-platinum plugs.

Ummm, they work and keep working for a decent time/mileage. :) It's not that aftermarket wires couldn't do the job, it's that many aren't reliable.

Due to the wasted-spark configuration, the spark polarity is reversed on two of the plugs; if you're not going to get original NGKs, at least make sure you use double-platinum plugs.

There are also problems getting the exact configuration. I ordered NGK wires online for my 97 Legato, then found they didn't fit. 2 of the coil ends needed 90 degree hoods with female ends. The bad parts had striaght hoods with male coil ends.

I had a good independent shop guy who traced down the right ones by cross-referencing a couple of books (paper ones) and handing the me the right part, silicone aftermarket wires. They work great. With new plugs, that is. I thnk the plugs made the biggest diference.

OE wires are usually superior to aftermarket, with one or two exceptions. Considering that OE wires last over 100,000 miles, cost shouldnt be an issue. You can get them reasonably at on line OE supplier.

Plugs should be what subaru recomends. Either one (if you do some hunting you will see can cause missfires and CEL's if not OE. Then your out the cost of the "new" plugs and wires you just had to replace, making OE wires reasonable.

nipper

for plugs and wires it's best to keep to Subaru OEM on both. just so you know, this is true of your engine and really all the newer generation stuff, not necessarily all subaru's. i (and others) have seen brand new aftermarket wires causes cylinder misfire codes and poor running right out of the box, we do not recommend this for no reason.

for your engine the only other option is Magnecor wires, that's what i use. they are excellent and you will never need to replace them. check out their website if you're interested.

I replaced my plug wires and plugs on my 99 Outback, before joining this forum. Most posts that I read say to use OEM wires and OEM plugs, but I bought plug wires from an up scale foreign car parts house for $40 some bucks. For plugs, I use the basic Bosch platinum with single electrode. This setup keeps my Subie running just fine.

I don't think that I would buy cheapie wires from Autozone or Advance, or a parts retailer like them. With that lower grade quality, you would be asking for trouble.

This setup keeps my Subie running just fine.
those of us that say to use OEM Subaru (or magnecor) are not saying that "every single aftermarket wire will fail immediately upon installation". it comes down to risks, percentages and how you view car maintenance. for those of us that have replaced hundreds of spark plug wires and have a large base of experiences and mileages to look at, we are conveying the highest level of reliability and least amount of risk that we see. and good point, i'm sure some aftermarkets are better than others, using the cheapest, chain stores sets or "single wires" is a very bad idea for EJ engines.

those of us that say to use OEM Subaru (or magnecor) are not saying that "every single aftermarket wire will fail immediately upon installation". it comes down to risks, percentages and how you view car maintenance. for those of us that have replaced hundreds of spark plug wires and have a large base of experiences and mileages to look at, we are conveying the highest level of reliability and least amount of risk that we see. and good point, i'm sure some aftermarkets are better than others, using the cheapest, chain stores sets or "single wires" is a very bad idea for EJ engines.

Lets face it, a lot of people are looking for cheaper wires then OE, and since chain stores tend not to carry high cost wires, they get poor wires.

For the most part the are of lesser quality, with a few exceptions, like I said before.

Wires may not fail immeditaly, but far enough down the raod where you can't get your money back. So in 1 year someone has purchased two sets of wires.

penny wise and dollar foolish

nipper

Lets face it, a lot of people are looking for cheaper wires then OE, and since chain stores tend not to carry high cost wires, they get poor wires.

For the most part the are of lesser quality, with a few exceptions, like I said before.

Wires may not fail immeditaly, but far enough down the raod where you can't get your money back. So in 1 year someone has purchased two sets of wires.

penny wise and dollar foolish

nipper

And I would add, even going to a high end store like Napa, doesn't always equal OEM. I bought their $55.00 set for my Forester, which worked fine until the first time I had to remove them. Only a year old, they tore apart like a rubber band, and in contrast, the OEM originals were still in perfect shape at 8 years old.

Live and learn:)

high end store like Napa,
NAPA is lame, i don't understand why people like them so much, particularly soob people? they've screwed up more parts than anywhere else and i use them as little as possible. they're expensive as balls and the return on the $ isn't very good. that they stay in business is beyond me.

Yes it seems poopboys is becoming more and more like that too.

It's already been said but right on Subaru OEM parts and Subaru OEM reman parts in general are known good quality and durable, which I think makes them a good value.

On certain items the aftermarket part costs nearly as much as the OEM part anyway. Become a regular client of a Subaru dealer who sells parts online; there are dozens. Or some local dealers will work out more agreeable pricing.

• 3 years later...
Okay, if I will be doing my Wires and plugs, would you guys recommend OEM or aftermarket wires? I know I will be using either NGK or just any Platinum plugs, but not sure about wires yet. The last time I replaced my wires, I did it with aftermarket ones. Should I go for OEM this time? What's special about OEM (other than it being more expensive) vs. aftermarket anyway?

is it okay if i comment in this old thread? i wish nobody gets mad. I just wanna give an advice to everybody because i learned my lesson the hard way.LOL

Never ever install aftermarket wires if you dont wanna mess up with your subaru. oem subaru parts are expensive but guaranteed that it will not f********* up your car. well better be safe than sorry. i will never buy aftermarket wires again.

Edited by masterjohnson

Most here have learned this as well.

Probably a good update to an old thread.

2.5 plug wires shoudl always be OEM.

2.2's it sure doesn't hurt.

They aren't that much out of line with "quality" aftermarket (not store brand plug wires).

NAPA is lame, i don't understand why people like them so much, particularly soob people? they've screwed up more parts than anywhere else and i use them as little as possible. they're expensive as balls and the return on the $ isn't very good. that they stay in business is beyond me.

I too have never been very happy with NAPA. Prices always seem about 20% more then other auto parts stores, and their counter people seem none to happy to wait on walk in customers. I'm thinking that their business is really geared to sell parts to garages that call in for parts, then NAPA truck delivers the parts to the garage.