Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Cam grinds avail for EA82T ?

Hi all , I'm trying to find out what cam profiles are available for the EA82T . From the WSM I think the best std were the N/A spider Vortex ones at 260/260 ?

I want to build an intercooled 9:1 Spider engine and I think the longer period cams would help it breath and keep the dynamic comp down enough to hold off detonation at low revs . BTW we have 96/98/100 oct pump fuel here in Aus .

Cheers A .

Hi all , I'm trying to find out what cam profiles are available for the EA82T . From the WSM I think the best std were the N/A spider Vortex ones at 260/260 ?

I want to build an intercooled 9:1 Spider engine and I think the longer period cams would help it breath and keep the dynamic comp down enough to hold off detonation at low revs . BTW we have 96/98/100 oct pump fuel here in Aus .

Cheers A .

Delta Cams come to mind. As to the specifics on the cam grind numbers, I can not remember. Perhaps WJM and others can fill in here.

BTW we have 96/98/100 oct pump fuel here in Aus .

You have the same pump fuel we have - the octane rating is calculated differently - thus the differences in the numbers. Your 100 is our 94(ish). Here in the US we average the RON and MON numbers (R + M)/ 2. In AUS and Europe they only report the RON, which is always the higher of the two. There is, sadly, no difference in the performance of the two fuels.

Read here for basic differences:

http://www.torquecars.com/articles/fuel-octane-ratings.php

GD

You have the same pump fuel we have - the octane rating is calculated differently - thus the differences in the numbers. Your 100 is our 94(ish). Here in the US we average the RON and MON numbers (R + M)/ 2. In AUS and Europe they only report the RON, which is always the higher of the two. There is, sadly, no difference in the performance of the two fuels.

Read here for basic differences:

http://www.torquecars.com/articles/fuel-octane-ratings.php

GD

yes and no

You're right in the fact that we use different octane ratings, but that doesn't mean we don't have higher levels in other parts of the world. I know for fact that the germans have 100 (RON) octane and that is per the european rating system.

• 1 month later...

Anyhow fuel octane aside I'm looking into better cams for an NA piston turbo build and can't find much for EA82T's .

As someone mentioned we need better headers really to make any breathing upgrades work because the header/turbo/cat/exhaust is so restrictive .

From looking at early and late L series WSM's the turbo cam durations vary from about 240 odd up to 250 degrees (basically 3plug and 4 plug) .

So Delta thinks 260 duration is ok ?

Cheers A .