Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Could Cause a Stress Crack in Windshield?

Coming home from work today in Rocky ( the XT6 out for his once a week run) out of nowhere..his windshield just cracks...nothing hit it no hard bumps ..it just cracked..about 8 inches long right from the bottom left side. I had the windows open..cause it was hot today ( car temp was saying around 92 )..The only thing I can think of is maybe his frame is starting to buckle...But I have seen worse without a problem like this...so what else could have caused it?

I already priced a new one ( $250-$300 ) but I dont want to put a new one in until I know why this happened.

Any Ideas??

Just my luck huh?:-\

bad luck, 20 years old, that is strange. he is rather mean to you, maybe it's just attitude, terrible two's or something?

i don't think it's chassis rust related or there would be lots of cars around here needing windshields every year, so i agree with you on that one. i wonder if there's any rust under the windshield, maybe it'll be seen when it's replaced?

i had my last one replaced for $160 or was it $180? i posted it on the xt6 site.

Yeah that is strange? Well i was watching mithbusters a few weeks ago and they said that all glass has it's times where it fails. Like you could hit your windshiled all day and then one time a few days later you could do it again and it will shater or crack? Wierd huh??

So maybe it was just a combo of things? Like it was hot and you had the windows down and you might be putting more stress on it then little bumps/shakes And then it cracked??

Or it's was a defect? And it took 20years to happen??? Who knows.... But i hope you find the reason....

Windsheild glass is wierd. Its multilayerd and under a lot of stress. Its also not really a solid. New windsheilds on occasion crack for no reason. My 1987 GL cracked one day for no reason. You may want to check for chassis rot just in case.

It happens.

nipper

I will see how my paycheck looks this week with the OT if I dont try and get it done this week I will get it fixed next weekend...Its another one of my analocities ( Is that really a word?) I dont drive with cracked or broken windshields..so he is parked until its fixed.

I honestly dont think I am going to have a problem with rust under...there has never been any leaks and all the seals are good....some sealer around a trim piece cause it was rattling .....I hope

geesh..I said I wasnt dropping any more money into these crapheaps:-\

And now I will have to pay to get a new registration sticker also

A front strut bar can help alleviate some of the stress that comes from the unibody deforming.

This was noticed at a Rally-x where most of the Imprezas with front bars had solid windshields, whereas most of the ones without had small cracks starting in the middle down by the firewall.

I went through 2 windshields on my 87 the same way, years ago. Same guy replaced both and I asked him what could cause it. His explanation was that rust will build up in certain areas under the sealing surface and cause this phenomenom. Especially in the corners.

I have Diamond Auto Glass coming next Sat (the 20th ) to replace the windshield..geesh..Happy Flippin B Day to me:-\ ( close enough..mines not for a week and a half after)

happy flippin 2000 posts, too.. this was 1999, yer next one puts you in the third millenium club!