Ultimate Subaru Message Board

installing a knock sensor on an EJ18

the EJ18 doesn't have a knock sensor, if you wanted to install one, couldn't you just drill the hole for an EJ22 knock sensor and tap it? the EJ18 and EJ22 being nearly identical i would imagine the "spot" on the EJ18 block is there where the EJ22 knock sensor goes?

but of course the ECU would have to have an input for the knock sensor and programming to take the appropriate processing and action on the signal?
i would have asked that too if i needed to know, that's the easy part, i already have that taken care of. since i haven't gotten the motor yet, i can't look to see if it has the boss or same place as an EJ22/EJ25 for the knock sensor. i'm sure someone on here knows.

What would be the advantage of having a knock sensor.
there's only a need/advantage if the controller you're using (aftermarket or ECU) has the ability to use that information.

so noone knows if i can just drill and tap a hole for a knock sensor in an EJ18?

I can't think of any reasons why drilling and tapping if no existing spot is available wouldn't work just fine.
that's what i was thinking, even if the exact EJ22ish spot isn't there i should be able to install it somewhere. i've seen people relocate stock knock sensors on EJ25's, so same difference really. i'm picking the motor up tomorrow so i'll figure something out. the NASIOC guys would know but sifting through 4 pages of flames and rediculous commentary to get an answer isn't my cup of tea.

I see very few 1.8's, but yes the block is basicly the same as the 2.2L. May already have a hole there. If not I would think the casting would at least be the same so you could drive and tap a hole there.

How ever you do it the knock sensor will have to be bolted directly to the block in order to be functional.