Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

installing a knock sensor on an EJ18

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:28 AM

the EJ18 doesn't have a knock sensor, if you wanted to install one, couldn't you just drill the hole for an EJ22 knock sensor and tap it? the EJ18 and EJ22 being nearly identical i would imagine the "spot" on the EJ18 block is there where the EJ22 knock sensor goes?

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,953 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:01 AM

Possibly, but of course the ECU would have to have an input for the knock sensor and programming to take the appropriate processing and action on the signal?

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:17 AM

but of course the ECU would have to have an input for the knock sensor and programming to take the appropriate processing and action on the signal?

i would have asked that too if i needed to know, that's the easy part, i already have that taken care of. since i haven't gotten the motor yet, i can't look to see if it has the boss or same place as an EJ22/EJ25 for the knock sensor. i'm sure someone on here knows.

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,953 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:58 AM

ok sounds good. Just a thought; I figured you already had the ecu part set.

#5 rverdoold

rverdoold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

What would be the advantage of having a knock sensor. I also do not have one on my EJ20, but never hear any knocking from the engine.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

What would be the advantage of having a knock sensor.

there's only a need/advantage if the controller you're using (aftermarket or ECU) has the ability to use that information.

so noone knows if i can just drill and tap a hole for a knock sensor in an EJ18?

#7 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,953 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

Sorry; I've never worked on a 1.8 I can't think of any reasons why drilling and tapping if no existing spot is available wouldn't work just fine.

#8 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

I can't think of any reasons why drilling and tapping if no existing spot is available wouldn't work just fine.

that's what i was thinking, even if the exact EJ22ish spot isn't there i should be able to install it somewhere. i've seen people relocate stock knock sensors on EJ25's, so same difference really. i'm picking the motor up tomorrow so i'll figure something out. the NASIOC guys would know but sifting through 4 pages of flames and rediculous commentary to get an answer isn't my cup of tea.

#9 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:53 PM

I wouldnt drill through the block. I would mount it on a bracket instead.

#10 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Montana

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

I see very few 1.8's, but yes the block is basicly the same as the 2.2L. May already have a hole there. If not I would think the casting would at least be the same so you could drive and tap a hole there.

How ever you do it the knock sensor will have to be bolted directly to the block in order to be functional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users