Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 BRAT "bolt-on" upgrade options

Psyko

I've been dreaming of doing an STI BRAT conversion for more years than I can possibly imagine. Unfortunately that is going to have to wait for a while longer since I don't have friends that can do the machine work or the money to pay for it. What I am planning though, is a basic EJ22 conversion in one of my Gen. 2 BRATs. I've found a lot of useful information (mostly here and including the EA2EJ pdf), but some things I'm still having trouble either finding or putting together in my mind.

My first questions for you deal with how far I can go without getting into welding or having to pay for major machine work. I'll swap parts until my fingers bleed, but I can't go too custom. What kind of recommended transmission options do I have before axles need to be shortened/manufactured? Can a 5-lug conversion be done on the front without axle troubles? If so, I'll do an XT 5-lug/disc on back too. If not, 4-lug.

My second question set deals with my donor car. My aunt was recently T-boned in her '98 Legacy (not sure of which motor it has). It was declared totaled and I should have it to work from. If it is an EJ22 will it work for this? Phase I or Phase II? Or, if it is an EJ25 will it work after the appropriate engine space-making? Or will it work with SOHC heads?

Sorry I asked so much. Feel free to answer all, none or just flame me. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

My first questions for you deal with how far I can go without getting into welding or having to pay for major machine work. I'll swap parts until my fingers bleed, but I can't go too custom. What kind of recommended transmission options do I have before axles need to be shortened/manufactured? Can a 5-lug conversion be done on the front without axle troubles? If so, I'll do an XT 5-lug/disc on back too. If not, 4-lug.

You will have to get shorter axles made. They will have to have the XT6/EJ outer CV w/the inner 23 spline DOJ. Impreza FWD axles will have both ends you need but they are too long. I put in an EA82 crossmember w/PS so I used EA82 control arms. even then I still had to extend the control arms by one inch.

My second question set deals with my donor car. My aunt was recently T-boned in her '98 Legacy (not sure of which motor it has). It was declared totaled and I should have it to work from. If it is an EJ22 will it work for this? Phase I or Phase II? Or, if it is an EJ25 will it work after the appropriate engine space-making? Or will it work with SOHC heads?

you can frankenstein the EJ25 w/EJ22 heads. That should also bump up your compression. One thing about using an OBD2 computer is that there are more sensors to connect. I used an EJ18 which is an OBD1 engine so it was easier to get working and have no CEL issues.

One thing about the project is that it never hurts to learn how to weld. Get a harbor freight wire welder for 100 bucks and go to town.

BW

Just get an adaptor plate and use the transmission from your BRAT (if you want to make the swap easy) or you can go to a 5sp D/R 4wd and get Jerry's kit (100% bolt up). You shouldn't need to weld anything. Everything should just drop right in and bolt right up. Your rig that you’re swapping from is going to be OBDII so you'll have that to deal with unless you swap out the intake manifold and wiring harness from an OBDI rig.

Good luck and post photos of your swap. I love to see how other people do it.

You will have to get shorter axles made. They will have to have the XT6/EJ outer CV w/the inner 23 spline DOJ. Impreza FWD axles will have both ends you need but they are too long. I put in an EA82 crossmember w/PS so I used EA82 control arms. even then I still had to extend the control arms by one inch.

Are you referring to EJ transmissions and/or lug conversions needing axle work? Also' date=' is there a way to use the EA82 crossmember without having to do some welding? I'll go all out on another build some day, but first I'd love to get into a test EJ car without the extra hassle.

Just get an adaptor plate and use the transmission from your BRAT (if you want to make the swap easy) or you can go to a 5sp D/R 4wd and get Jerry's kit (100% bolt up). You shouldn't need to weld anything. Everything should just drop right in and bolt right up.

Ummm, what? The 5sp D/R 4WD you're talking about is an EA82 transmission with an adaptor plate, right? What is "Jerry's kit?"

What about the late 80's RX AWD/4WD transmission? Will it require custom work?

you can frankenstein the EJ25 w/EJ22 heads. That should also bump up your compression. One thing about using an OBD2 computer is that there are more sensors to connect. I used an EJ18 which is an OBD1 engine so it was easier to get working and have no CEL issues.

Aren't the EJ22 engines 9.7:1 compression ratios (no improvement) and the SOHC EJ25s 10:1 (better)? Would it make more sense to use the heads from an SOHC EJ25? As for the OBDII and CEL issues' date=' I guess I'll just have to deal with those.

Here's to hoping the Legacy donor has an EJ22 and not EJ25. Won't have to deal with any of this if it is.

One thing about the project is that it never hurts to learn how to weld. Get a harbor freight wire welder for 100 bucks and go to town.

Are there any that will be good for learning as well as being alright for the kind of work I'm looking at in the future? I don't want to learn on one and then have to graduate up to another better one later.

Good luck and post photos of your swap. I love to see how other people do it.

Of course. I'll take pictures beginning to end. :)

(Enough quotes and questions for you guys? XD)

Ummm, what? The 5sp D/R 4WD you're talking about is an EA82 transmission with an adaptor plate, right? What is "Jerry's kit?"

What about the late 80's RX AWD/4WD transmission? Will it require custom work?

Yes, the EA82 5sp D/R 4WD is the one I'm talking about. There's a dude on here named jerry (bratsrus1) and he sells a kit so that the EA82 transmissions will bolt up in your EA81 rig (shift linkages & cross member). It works great! As far as the RX transmission goes you'll still need the kit but I think you'll also need a rear end from the RX as well because of the different gearing, but don't quote me on that.

Well, I am now being told that the Legacy is a 1995. Obviously it is a EJ22 then, but I'm still not sure what OBD it is. Does anybody know whether it was a I or a II that year? I'm sure I'll find out eventually, but it might be nice to know before hand as well.

Yes, the EA82 5sp D/R 4WD is the one I'm talking about. There's a dude on here named jerry (bratsrus1) and he sells a kit so that the EA82 transmissions will bolt up in your EA81 rig (shift linkages & cross member). It works great! As far as the RX transmission goes you'll still need the kit but I think you'll also need a rear end from the RX as well because of the different gearing, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, I didn't know that the EA82 trannys took a different crossmember. I guess I'll want to look into that to then. :P

As for the RX transmission. That is the one I want the most. I'll just have to do some more research on it. If it doesn't work, an EA82 5sp D/R 4WD it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess none of this matters now. I finally got the car from Geiko and it isn't even remotely totaled. There is no way I can bring myself to steal the engine out of it. All it needs is a new driver side strut since the current one is bent and giving me some awesome negative camber.

• 6 years later...

I currently have a d/r 4spd trans in my 84 gl. Im getting ready to do a ej22 swap into it. Should  i stick with the current trans with a xj6 clutch or should i switch to a ea82 tranny? Would it have better longevity?

You can stick with current trans.  Get a Brat clutch, 225 mm, 21 spline (7/8) and pressure plate. 

The EA82 5 spd D/R is a better trans, better gearing and more durable......with that you can use the XT6 clutch or just a 4wd EA82 clutch.

Either option will require an adapter plate, and a redrilled flywheel to match the trans 4spd vs. 5spd